XBMC Live co-existing with Windows in dual-boot.
Question 
Anybody have any experience getting Windows to Dual-boot on the same hard drive with XBMC Live? I've tried installing XBMC live on a fresh drive and then replacing the 3rd partition with a Windows one, but that doesn't seem to be as straightforward as I think it would be. How does Live use the different partitions?
Subtitles - Serious Business
Hrm. Progress report. I've managed to resize the 3rd partition using this guide:

http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_resizing...partitions

It still boots after I do this, but once I start the Windows installation, I can't get it to boot anymore, no matter what partitions I set as bootable. I think it's a limitation of the installers. If anyone has any experience getting this to work, or any ideas it would be much appreciated.

Also quick question for l.capriotti - Will we be seeing any enhancements to the Live hard drive installation process in upcoming releases - maybe an installer based off of Ubuntu's and a boot manager by default?
This is a workaround and not a solution by any means, but you could install live on USB, Windows on the HD, set your boot order to USB then HD in BIOS.

If you want windows, pull the usb stick out, if not leave it in.
I'm becoming resolved to the idea that I'm going to have to do a full Ubuntu install to make this work. I've played with the USB idea, but it's not really what I want.

Here's hoping that 9.04 has a more fully fledged install.
From what I can remember the live just install to the disk and wipes everything out.

So a painful approach would be the following I assume.

1. Install XBMC live
2. DD or Ghost the root partition and take note of other filesystem created
3. Install windows deletingeverything and reate it's own parition
4. Install mininal ubuntu setup
5. Restore dd or ghost image of XBMC live over Ubunutu root partition.

Try that....?

I'm hoping that will leave windows working, grub working and the Linux partition bootable. A boot into single user mode most liekly will be required to clean up fstab and other entries.
Or do as I did this weekend.

1. Install XBMC Live 9.04 to hdd
2. Start g-parted live cd and create some free space at the end.
3. Format the new partition in g-parted to NTFS.
4. Install win xp.
5. Boot into XBMC Live safe mode and login.
6. Type
Code:
sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

7. Add this:
Code:
title windows xp
root (hd0,3)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1

Where hd0 is your primary hdd and ,3 is your forth partition (which it should be if you did same as I did).
This sounds like just what I was looking for. The only questions I have is does anyone know if this same technique will work with a combination of XBMC Live 9.11 alpha 2 and Windows 7? If it does, I'm all over it this evening!

gurkburk Wrote:Or do as I did this weekend.

1. Install XBMC Live 9.04 to hdd
2. Start g-parted live cd and create some free space at the end.
3. Format the new partition in g-parted to NTFS.
4. Install win xp.
5. Boot into XBMC Live safe mode and login.
6. Type
Code:
sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

7. Add this:
Code:
title windows xp
root (hd0,3)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1

Where hd0 is your primary hdd and ,3 is your forth partition (which it should be if you did same as I did).
Sad 
I tried the above method using gparted on an aspire revo 3600. however when i create the ntfs partition it screws up the xbmc so that it won't load. help
darkfarthing: Did you create the new partition in the end om the harddrive?
You can also try to start a Ubuntu Live CD (9.04 and older versions) and try to reinstall grub and edit it from the terminal there.

Some of the steps here can maybe help.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1035999
Very interested in getting this working also - if you manage to get it working successfully, a "steps for Linux dummies" writeup would be hugely appreciated.
The new LiveBeta does not wipe the disk. It will be able to create dual boot.
There are tons of guides for dual boot on the google.
so anybody doing this as of late with latest xbox live? once i get my replacment acer 1410, I'd love to be able to dual boot win 7 and xbmc live... how awesome it would be to run xbmc from boot w/o loading os when traveling and such!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live co-existing with Windows in dual-boot.0