Technical challenges in porting mplayer (xbox) to Windows
Hi all

I would like if anyone of the XBMC Senior developers/anyone very familiar with XBMC development could explain what exactly would be the steps needed to be done in porting the XBMC XBOX mplayer core to XBMC for windows? I may not be a very highly experienced developer, but I would appreciate some info on this, and maybe try my hand at this / at least learn trying, and also have a better idea on creating other XBMC video engines.

Fantastic work that is being done for XBMC development, thanks.
Hi there, and welcome to the forums.

Loading the dll on win32 possibly wouldn't take all that much - it's much trickier on linux, however (there's forum threads about that side of it already).

First step would be getting the mplayer dll loading - there is likely some exports from XBMC that it is expecting that the linuxport branch doesn't provide. The vobsub stuff, for instance. Note that most of these things are really just because xbox had very little memory.

Once you get the dll loading, it'd be a matter of porting the mplayer player portion from within the XBMC codebase, and updating the RenderManager to make sure it implements the functions that mplayer is expecting.

EDIT: Note that the XBMC team is not interested in using mplayer as a core per-se, but that may be reconsidered if someone does all the work for us Wink

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Technical challenges in porting mplayer (xbox) to Windows0