Slow Backdrops presentation in Home [ATV]
I have following configuration:
- MediaStream 1.0
- XBMC 8.10 Atlantis bf1
- Launcher 0.9
- AppleTV firmware 2.3

Currently backdrops are enabled for Weather, Movies, TVShows. I'm mainly using the AEON backdrop packs. Files are locally stored on ATV HDD.

Problem is when I navigate on Home menu items ATV suffers on loading the images. Sometimes it stuck on one menu items for 4-5.seconds before giving me the control back.

Truth is that some of these pics are 1080p res. Size around 1 MB.
I've tried to change form JPG to BMP without too much results on performance. Downscaling to 720p might be a speeding factor
... BUT...
Weird thing is that looks that XBMC uses some caching mechanism. It does image caching periodically and in certain context no delay when I'm navigating up-down in Home. And then it looks that cache is removed after a while. So just wondering whether somebody have already managed to make a smooth experience with custom backgrounds and ATV... (by means of configuration or code change)
Currently large images are cached for 2 seconds after release. To be honest, though, assuming Aeon uses a largeimage control (which was designed for this use) there should be no stutter at all in navigation due to the backdrops, as they're loaded in the background. I'm not sure whether it uses them or not - it may just have a delayed load which would cause this problem.

I'm currently reworking the texture base classes, with the view to cleaning up a lot of the code, and unifying the two texture load methods. This should improve things substantially (assuming the skinner takes advantage of it).

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Jmarshall,
I'm using MediaStream that is an official skin. Looks that CPU is not jumping, it might be indeed a skinning issue.
I might catch some of the RazorFish guys here...

thanks for the answer.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slow Backdrops presentation in Home [ATV]0