Arrgh!, it happened again
I went to watch a movie on my "client" computer without having the "server" computer on and of course it tried to go out and find the media and couldn't and now i have to rescan everything again.

Is this normal behavior for xbmc?, shouldn't i just be able to restart xbmc and then have if find the media now that server is turned on, but it doesn't.

thanx
TC
Loft - Intel I5-3570K, Asus P8Z77-LX, Corsair 16GB DDR3, AMD HD 7700, AOC 27" LCD
Bedroom - Intel I3-530, Intel DH55HC, Corsair 4GB DDR3, Nvidia G610, Samsung 37" HDTV
Living Room - Intel E8400, Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia G610, Samsung 52" HDTV
Why would you have to rescan? If it can't find the server the playback will just fail. It doesn't actually write to the database at all.

Are you sure you haven't enabled something such as "clean library on update"?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Why would you have to rescan? If it can't find the server the playback will just fail. It doesn't actually write to the database at all.

Are you sure you haven't enabled something such as "clean library on update"?

Yes, I Think he has "Update Library on startup" turned on. Happened to me a few times. A server can be unavailable when u least expect it. I have a very stable network, with a heavy server, and it still happened to me a few times. So I turned the update on library off.

It would be nice if XBMC could have some check before initiating the update on startup, if the source machines are actually there. Well, cratch that, because that's what it actually does. Hence the removal of the items in your library. Rolleyes So it problably works as designed. But it would be great if something can be built in to prevent removing all items. maybe a simple warning like: "source machine %Servername% is unavailable, remove all Items?" Or a run a WOL-command? Little far-fatched maybe. ;-)

TCman: Turn off the Update library on startup if you want to prevent this.
Joy In Repitition
Thanks guys, that was indeed what was happening. I normally don't leave my computers on 24/7 which doesn't help either, lol.

TC
Loft - Intel I5-3570K, Asus P8Z77-LX, Corsair 16GB DDR3, AMD HD 7700, AOC 27" LCD
Bedroom - Intel I3-530, Intel DH55HC, Corsair 4GB DDR3, Nvidia G610, Samsung 37" HDTV
Living Room - Intel E8400, Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia G610, Samsung 52" HDTV
I thought items removed from the file system are only removed from the library when doing a "clean library"? (please correct me if I'm wrong)
eriksmith200 Wrote:I thought items removed from the file system are only removed from the library when doing a "clean library"? (please correct me if I'm wrong)

You're correct.
Batemann Wrote:Yes, I Think he has "Update Library on startup" turned on. Happened to me a few times. A server can be unavailable when u least expect it. I have a very stable network, with a heavy server, and it still happened to me a few times. So I turned the update on library off.

It would be nice if XBMC could have some check before initiating the update on startup, if the source machines are actually there. Well, cratch that, because that's what it actually does. Hence the removal of the items in your library. Rolleyes So it problably works as designed. But it would be great if something can be built in to prevent removing all items. maybe a simple warning like: "source machine %Servername% is unavailable, remove all Items?" Or a run a WOL-command? Little far-fatched maybe. ;-)

TCman: Turn off the Update library on startup if you want to prevent this.

Update library on startup should not be removing anything from the library even if your sources are missing.
I have update library upon startup turned on.

If I turn on the client before the server it updates for media, really slow because it's not finding anything and then when i go to play something I can't.

I have no choice but to rescan media because i can't get back to it.

I think there should be some kind of safe guard where if it is not finding the media server then it just doesn't update anything.

TC Huh
Show us your advancedsettings.xml
Hitcher Wrote:Show us your advancedsettings.xml

Ok, will have to wait awhile because i am at work, but i go home for lunch everyday so pehaps i can post it then.

TC
mitul103 Wrote:Update library on startup should not be removing anything from the library even if your sources are missing.

Well, shouldn't and doesn't are different things. Laugh
Long time user of XBMC, had it several times on the old xbox, and had it a few weeks ago with my HTPC on windows.

I reinstalled the whole machine a few days ago, so I don't have the advancedsettings.xml anymore. Maybe on backup. I will check, since I always save these things.

After reading What hitcher said: It might be the "<cleanonupdate>".
I can't remember if I used this or not. But I understand now that this shouldn't be used together with "update Library on startup".
Shame though, because the "turnover" in my lib is quite high, I remove a lot of movies. But, never mind, say no more, I understand.
Joy In Repitition
I just moved a bunch of media out of my standard folders just to see what would happen. I have update on startup on and I do not have clean on update enabled. Just as expected, the entries were still in my library after xbmc started up and scanned my folders. I don't know what to tell you guys seeing different results other than you probably have clean on update enabled..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Arrgh!, it happened again0