Brightness and CPU issues
When i change the brightness it uses a lot more CPU?
When playing 1080p material it is lagging when adjusting the brightness.
When using the default brightness everything is ok...
That seems strange, maybe update your video driver.

TCBig Grin
Loft - Intel I5-3570K, Asus P8Z77-LX, Corsair 16GB DDR3, AMD HD 7700, AOC 27" LCD
Bedroom - Intel I3-530, Intel DH55HC, Corsair 4GB DDR3, Nvidia G610, Samsung 37" HDTV
Living Room - Intel E8400, Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia G610, Samsung 52" HDTV
How to report a problem in a useful manner. Smile
i think this is just a known bug, i stopped trying a while ago and just adjusted my tv settings.
i have that problem too.
Thats because of mplayer i guess.
Why am i not surprised?
How is that because of mplayer when the windows port doesn't use mplayer?
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Wait... what? Where is the brightness setting? I've been through every setting in XBMC and I've never seen anything for brightness. XBMC plays much darker than any other media player on my system, so adjusting brightness would be great.

EDIT: And sorry for the OT. lol
OSD when playing a video.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
tslayer Wrote:OSD when playing a video.

Again, sorry for the OT (please split these posts to a new thread if necessary), but I do not have a brightness setting in my video OSD. I normally use Mediastream, but I just checked PM3.HD and it's the same. I have only the following in the video portion of the OSD:

Interlaced Handling
Video Scaling Method
Crop Black Bars
View Mode
Zoom Amount
Pixel Ratio
--------------
Set as default for all movies
Video Calibration...

I'm using a recent SVN (been using XBMC for Windows since a little before Atlantis was released and I've never seen the brightness settings)
WinXP SP3
ATI 3450HD

Is there a different setting or configuration that is a prerequisite for the brightness controls to display?
You only get the options if your GFX cards support the necessary functions. Though, I believe some checks were loosened recently, so a newer build may reveal them.
I know for a fact that my graphics card supports the feature for brightness Tongue, but I don't see brightness when in XBMC.

althekiller Wrote:You only get the options if your GFX cards support the necessary functions. Though, I believe some checks were loosened recently, so a newer build may reveal them.
how do you know that for a fact? site me the glx used please
Having some problem here. 1080p material of relatively less bitrate is fine, but high bitrate material is met with choppy and laggy.

db_NO Wrote:When i change the brightness it uses a lot more CPU?
When playing 1080p material it is lagging when adjusting the brightness.
When using the default brightness everything is ok...
Agreed. To properly calibrate my TV and XBMC via the Digital Video Essentials Blu-Ray, I needed to alter the Brightness and Contrast in the OSD very slightly. However, even though I have a powerful CPU (Intel C2Duo E8400 @3.00GHz), when I changed the brightness and contrast from anything but the default values, high bit-rate 1080p content started dropping frames.

To add insult to injury, the brightness/contrast controls don't seem to work at all in recent builds: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=53326

Sad
I might be wrong but I find it hard to believe the the brightness/contrast control is done via GPU. Rather it seems like the CPU does the post processing and the composed frame is dropped onto the frame buffer. That could be the cause of the massive CPU usage.

Currently I am running an x86 Win XP SP3 w/ 2.4GHz C2D with 3.25GB DDR2-800. I am going to see if I get an improvement on 8GB with XP64.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Brightness and CPU issues0