Hardware for new build
Question 
I am getting ready to build a new system that will run Aeon Stark when it comes out. Here is what I am thinking about. Please let me know how you all think it will handle 1080p and SD. Thanks.

Core 2 Duo 3.33Ghz, Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H (NVIDIA 9400 onboard), 4 GB Memory

Do you think that would work?
It looks like that should handle it quite nicely... but then again I am having the same problem currently.. in this thread though.. link
Fiinix Design presents: Posters, for Movies, TV Shows, Games, Arcade etc.

» Latest Poster-Pack: The Silhouettes, TV Shows
» Upcoming Poster-Pack: To Be Announced

» Game & Emulator Poster, request here
» Movie/TV Genre Poster, here
I have that MB.

the e8400 will play all 1080p. more is better but potentially a waste of money.

XBMC uses nothing like 4GB of ram. I have 2GB and never get close to using it
Having problems getting your TV shows recognized?

Try my extra TV show matching REGEX here
That CPU sounds like overkill. E8400 or E8500 will play everything 1080p easily. Like xexe said, 4GB ram in a HTPC is a bit overkill, but ram is also dirt cheap, so do whatever. The motherboard is a great choice and I know from experience that the gpu will do everything you need for XBMC.
Well, i run a cheap asus p5kpl-am paired with an also cheap radeon pci-e 3450 low profile that does currently analog tv output later on will do hdmi with the dvi to hdmi adapter. 1Gb of ram in dual channel and a cheap E4500 slightly overclocked from 2.2Ghz to 2.75Ghz. I get max cpu usage around 79% playing the infamous planet earth 1080p files (those were the most demanding videos i ever came across). No dropped frames and dirt cheap all in all. I believe i would get by even not overclocked but since the oc was a freebie not even bumped the vcore from stock i choose to keep it that way.
a e8400 surely is overkill. If it is a dedicated htpc trim down the os you use so that doesen't eat resources that you actually don't need. I run a slimmed down XP mad with nlite.

No need to go extreme on hardware.
Got all that hardware for under 200 eur altogether with a 200Gb pata drive, and a 480w silent psu. The cpu was bought 2nd hand the rest was new, cept the ram i had laying around.
How do you trim down your OS Steven?
Yeah Steven, I'd also be very interested in knowing what you trimmed away?

In fact, something that would be great is a rundown of all the services that e.g. XP has, what they do and which ones you don't actually need if you're running a dedicated HTPC with XBMC.. (I'm not suggesting you would have to do that though) Wink

I feel obliged to point out there are a number of people who have taken onboard the advice about overclocking and had completely unstable results here. YMWV but its important to know its not a certain outcome.

As for stripping XP 2 more points:

tinyxp etc suck dont bother. you may make it work but its a step to far for having a usable system you can add odds and ends to. What we really need is an HTPC nlite profile

Who said anything about tinyXP, I agree that tinyXP is.. well put simply, it's not up to the task of being both stable and usable from a HTPC-XBMC point of view.

A HTPC nlite profile you say, why didn't I think of that. That's an excellent idea, who feels up to task? Wink Nah, just joking.. But it is a very good idea, however there is the legal concerns as well.

(Starts researching what the different services in XP does..)

Oooh, apologies to Rardgerard for getting his thread off path. Sad

No problems asphinx. I think I kinda started down that path. I have started looking at nLite. It doesn't look to hard to create a profile. Is it?
Shouldn't be. I have dabbled with nlite myself a couple of years ago. I think the most difficult part is actually knowing which parts to "cut" out.

Hopefully you got some good answers regarding your original inquire though. Wink

xexe Wrote:I feel obliged to point out there are a number of people who have taken onboard the advice about overclocking and had completely unstable results here. YMWV but its important to know its not a certain outcome.

I agree completely, over clocking usually isnt good for audio/video applications, not saying it doesn't work. But if you have the extra 20 or 30 bucks go with a higher end non over clock cpu, you wont regret it ever.

TC
Loft - Intel I5-3570K, Asus P8Z77-LX, Corsair 16GB DDR3, AMD HD 7700, AOC 27" LCD
Bedroom - Intel I3-530, Intel DH55HC, Corsair 4GB DDR3, Nvidia G610, Samsung 37" HDTV
Living Room - Intel E8400, Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia G610, Samsung 52" HDTV
Rardgerard the day you get your kit ordered XP and nLite will be something you care alot about so i dont feel so bad forking this thread temporarily...

Promise I will assist with other stuff once i get this out the way.

Whos interested in a nlite thread/project (aka would help test things and research)?

And back on topic heres my kit list

Pioneer DVR-216DBK 20x DVD±RW Dual Layer Internal SATA Black Bare Drive - OEM
Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H GeForce 9400 Socket 775 onboard VGA DVI HDMI 7.1 channel audio mATX Motherboard
Antec Fusion Remote Veris Black MATX Media Center Case - No PSU
Scythe Mini Ninja Socket 478/775/754/939/940/AM2 Heatpipe Cooler
OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory Gold GX XTC CL5 DUAL CHANNEL (LIFETIME WARRANTY)
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Socket 775 (3.0GHz) 1333FSB 6MB L2 Cache Retail Boxed Processor
525W Enermax MODU82+ EMD525AWT Modular Triple PCI-E Rail, ATX12v 2.3 , 88% Eff, AirGuard, SafeGuard
Noctua NF-S12-1200 120mm 1200RPM Quiet Fan
OCZ 30GB 2.5" SATAII Solid Series Solid State Drive

Thanks xexe. Do you find that your system runs XBMC well? What skin do you typically run? And do you just use it for the system or do you use it for anything else? Also, if you do start a threat about nLite please let me know. I would love to figure out the best way to get XP running the program. Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware for new build0