alsamixer not found in new intrepid install
I was upgrading from hardy to intrepid on a fresh install from the live cd. I wanted the new VDPAU support. I installed the lasted version of alsa using the following wiki page: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO:_Inst...ep-by-step

The audio was working initially, however after reboot I am not able to get any audio working. I cannot even re-run the alsamixer. I receive the following output when trying to run the mixer.

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default
Motherboard P5N7A-VM, E8400 C2D 3.0 processor. NVIDIA 9300 graphics card. OpenELEC Stable - Generic x86_64 Version:3.2.4
dbldown768 Wrote:I was upgrading from hardy to intrepid on a fresh install from the live cd. I wanted the new VDPAU support. I installed the lasted version of alsa using the following wiki page: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO:_Inst...ep-by-step

The audio was working initially, however after reboot I am not able to get any audio working. I cannot even re-run the alsamixer. I receive the following output when trying to run the mixer.

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default

Check if your user is properly added to audio group.

Code:
more /etc/group

And check if your user, which with you wanted to run xbmc is listed next to the audio.

If not, then use:

Code:
sudo usermod -a -G audio xbmc

Where replace xbmc if you installed with the username, you installed with.
thanks for the quick response. I did retry added my username to the group. That did not seem to work. So i reran the alsa -di installation script and it appears to have solved my problem.

Thanks again, your tutorial is very helpful source of information. Now the new VDPAU is working great! (well.. the library isn't updating for some reason unless i manually scan for content on each folder Sad )
Motherboard P5N7A-VM, E8400 C2D 3.0 processor. NVIDIA 9300 graphics card. OpenELEC Stable - Generic x86_64 Version:3.2.4

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
alsamixer not found in new intrepid install0