Should XBMC's "Advanced Feature Settings" be hidden from the GUI as they are today?
I vote for a web interface with FULL settings config... not just AdvancedSettings.

This would be fantastic as many of the settings, like ones where you need to "browse", are a PITA via a remote.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
@sho

"That's funny since the XBMC interface is a recurring theme when people who like XBMC talk about it."

If the motivation is to improve XBMC, then the people you should pay attention to are those who tried it and dislike it, or those who tried it and couldn't get it to work.

The problem, of course, is that they aren't likely to bother making an account on here and post their tales of woe. However, you can gauge something by its absence as well. The stark disparity of 700,000 downloads to 4,000 registered posters (and a tiny minority of active posters) should tell you something. Also, the makeup of posters on here, most of whom are techies, should give you another hint.

For those "advanced users uber alles," here's a quote of the XBMC mission statement. May be it's just empty rhetoric?

"The major ongoing goal of Team-XBMC has always been to make XBMC and its user interface feel even more intuitive and user-friendly for its end-users, based on the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle of simplicity."
TomJensen Wrote:For those "advanced users uber alles," here's a quote of the XBMC mission statement. May be it's just empty rhetoric?

"The major ongoing goal of Team-XBMC has always been to make XBMC and its user interface feel even more intuitive and user-friendly for its end-users, based on the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle of simplicity."
You have to consider what you set out to do when judging simplicity and ease of use. XBMC gives users a lot of control. For that kind of control, I still think it's rather simple.
ashlar Wrote:You have to consider what you set out to do when judging simplicity and ease of use. XBMC gives users a lot of control. For that kind of control, I still think it's rather simple.

I have to agree with previous comments XBMC at this point in time seems to be very much in love with the advanced user community and without going on to the forums the posibilities to make this system into a nice and easy to use Media Center (like dear I say it Windows Media Center) are only present in the heads of the developers and forum regulars.

One of the main reasons is there are to many options in XBMC at the moment, the number of settings menu's sub menu's and other ways to get to the settings screen are huge and rather confusing. (talking just about the default HD skin) The menu option titles are not always clear as to what exactly they affect and in the application there seems to be on way to figure that out trying or reading the manual are the only options left to many new users.

Any user that wants to do more then just the basics has to go into a "scarry" advancedsettings.xml file and edit things there with all the risks of typo's and the like. This causes a lot of confusion and worries for many certainly beginning users as they are forced to use a search function on the forums or in the wiki and then make sure they preform the incantations and secret rites exactly as described within the bowls of the source of infinite human knowledge called the internet. Not very user friendly, if you ask me

I know that all developers and experienced users will likely disagree but look at the number of xxx for dummies books have been sold. These are the kinds of people that make for the large user numbers and that make a product a household name for the masses. If that is what XBMC wants to become then less settings is better. But that would kill the current userbase...

It might not...
Lets say one where to create a startup argument for XBMC, which provides access to the advanced settings configuration but prevents any playback from happening. This means that advanced users will only go into this mode if needed and only to change a setting not for normal usage. It would prevent typo's and the need to search the interwebs for how what and with what spelling etc. Even a "dummy" user that does end up starting XBMC in this mode will not be able to mess up the advancedsettings.xml file, just change it.

This bings me to one last thing as stated before the current settings are not always clear even though the names are as descriptive as possible, the good thing is that one is unlikely to completely destroy their current XBMC setup by just changing one of the settings. This does not mean that a help dialog per setting would not be helpful for may certainly beginning users. Adding a function like this to XBMC will help the "dummy" audience greatly while at the same time assisting the advanced users make more educated guesses about what settings are safe to change in the advancedsettings mode.
Just imagine if some ingenious user decided to make a standalone advancedsetting app, instead of the umpteenth nfo generator (for Windows).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
rcoops: The whole point of advancedsettings.xml is:

NORMAL USERS SHOULD NOT HAVE TO TOUCH IT.

Did I make that clear enough? If you have to alter something in there, then you are doing something that the vast majority of people should not have to do. If not, then whatever setting that's there needs to be in the UI.

If there's problems with the settings in the UI, as you mention, then please file a report on trac with what it was you were confused about, with some suggestions as to why you were confused and/or what could be done to improve the situation.

If there's things in advancedsettings.xml that you feel lots of people need to change, then please let us know what it is so that we can consider it for inclusion in the UI.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Hitcher Wrote:I think if XBMC is going to become more widespread (which I hope it does) then an 'Advanced Settings' menu would be a good idea as it's more user friendly than creating and editing your own advancedsettings.xml.

agreed, should be easier to access.
>The whole point of advancedsettings.xml is:
>NORMAL USERS SHOULD NOT HAVE TO TOUCH IT.
>If you have to alter something in there, then you are doing
>something that the vast majority of people should not have
>to do. If not, then whatever setting that's there needs to be
>in the UI.

The problem with this (all user config in the UI) is that the UI is not suited for text-dense output, given its relatively large font size. That means you can only fit so many settings per screen, necessitating large number of screens for a full user config. That's one definition of user unfriendliness. Another problem is that any explanation for settings has to be brief (again, because of low text density).

A second problem is that the UI is geared toward use of a remote, so navigation is awkward. You can of course use a keyboard/mouse in the UI, but the "look-and-feel" of a remote-control UI is different from a mouse-driven UI, making navigation unintuitive. This is all the more true when some of the keys are mapped to different XBMC commands, obviating their normal use per desktop UI convention.

Frankly, I'm a little surprised that for one who espouses usability as his role, that you would think that the in-program UI can be used for full customization. And the thought that the advancedsettings file can be made to that it satisfies most every situation is a bit presumptuous, given the wide diversity of circumstances and needs. If you were to give serious thought about usability, a suggestion is to sit down with someone who is an "apps user" that has no experience with XBMC, and let the person try to configure the program. That's what usability is all about, learning how normal users use a program.

What sho and some others said makes perfect sense: XBMC needs an external (PC-based) configuration module. It doesn't have to be just for "advanced settings."
TomJensen Wrote:>The whole point of advancedsettings.xml is:
>NORMAL USERS SHOULD NOT HAVE TO TOUCH IT.
>If you have to alter something in there, then you are doing
>something that the vast majority of people should not have
>to do. If not, then whatever setting that's there needs to be
>in the UI.

The problem with this (all user config in the UI) is that the UI is not suited for text-dense output, given its relatively large font size. That means you can only fit so many settings per screen, necessitating large number of screens for a full user config. That's one definition of user unfriendliness. Another problem is that any explanation for settings has to be brief (again, because of low text density).

A second problem is that the UI is geared toward use of a remote, so navigation is awkward. You can of course use a keyboard/mouse in the UI, but the "look-and-feel" of a remote-control UI is different from a mouse-driven UI, making navigation unintuitive. This is all the more true when some of the keys are mapped to different XBMC commands, obviating their normal use per desktop UI convention.

Frankly, I'm a little surprised that for one who espouses usability as his role, that you would think that the in-program UI can be used for full customization. And the thought that the advancedsettings file can be made to that it satisfies most every situation is a bit presumptuous, given the wide diversity of circumstances and needs. If you were to give serious thought about usability, a suggestion is to sit down with someone who is an "apps user" that has no experience with XBMC, and let the person try to configure the program. That's what usability is all about, learning how normal users use a program.

What sho and some others said makes perfect sense: XBMC needs an external (PC-based) configuration module. It doesn't have to be just for "advanced settings."

Try reading what JM wrote again, I think you missed his meaning.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
Indeed "full customisation" is ridiculous from the UI. Those who need full customisation are those who will be quite happy with editing some settings outside of XBMC. Whether this be an advancedsettings.xml file directly (this is easy enough to do if we make a template available for instance) or via some advanced settings editor (that just pretties up this process) is irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

What I think we all agree on is that any settings in the UI need to be thoroughly thought through, and that they really have to cover sufficiently different usage requirements in order to justify being there.

Many of our current settings don't belong in the UI as most users shouldn't have to touch them. Some of our currently "advanced" settings possibly do belong in the UI.

The key is identifying which ones are needed by "basic" users, and ensure that those are available and are well described so as to be very clear. Anything else doesn't really need to be there.

We've got a couple of lists internally on thoughts on some of the settings we have in the UI that don't need to be there. I'll see if I can move that to a separate forum thread for a wider discussion if you wish to take part.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Yup, I would be really interested. In the beginning I was against this but there's definitely a point behind your reasoning.

A template xml with all the advanced settings already spelled out (dreaming... maybe REMed with description?) would already be a step in a good direction.

The separate application... wish I was able to create it. I'll see if I can convince a friend of mine, programmer and XBMC user to devote some time. Smile
jmarshall Wrote:What I think we all agree on is that any settings in the UI need to be thoroughly thought through, and that they really have to cover sufficiently different usage requirements in order to justify being there.

Many of our current settings don't belong in the UI as most users shouldn't have to touch them. Some of our currently "advanced" settings possibly do belong in the UI.

The key is identifying which ones are needed by "basic" users, and ensure that those are available and are well described so as to be very clear. Anything else doesn't really need to be there.
FYI; I know that Plex's dveelopers have spend a lot of time on this part, removing many things from the GUI settings, yet added others, ...and they do include a filled in advancedsettings.xml file by default. They agree with us that XBMC should preferably work stright out-of-the-box for 99% of the users without any of them having to change any of the settings, ...other than language, location, clock and time-zone, remote-type, keyboard-layout, and point out their sources of course.

Makes me thing that is what Apple and Mac developers spend most of their time on, targeting a very large and broad audience then making their apps fool-proof to fit most peoples need via forced compromises that are hard coded in the UI, ...but on the other hand that is why many people turn away from closed source applications and go for open source alternatives, because they give choices and can be customized if the user want to do that.

/ My 2 cents
>What I think we all agree on is that any settings in the UI
>need to be thoroughly thought through, and that they really
>have to cover sufficiently different usage requirements >inorder to justify being there.

I agree in part, but I would not use the basic/advanced metric to judge for inclusion. The TV UI (also known as the 10' UI) is inferior in most every way to the PC UI when it comes to textual information display and interaction. My suggested rule of thumb is simple: Anything that can be configured outside of the program, should be.

There are two components to usability: the mental effort (figuring out how to change a setting), and the physical effort (the amount of motions needed to effect that change). Making things intuitive lessens the mental effort. Minimizing the number of button/mouse clicks and hand movements lessens the physical effort.

In my opinion, the entire array of settings under the System Config option belong outside the program. The majority of these settings are static and don't need to be changed on-the-fly. I can change them with less physical effort, and gain a better understanding of what I'm changing (with inclusion of contextual help and by seeing all the related settings in one screen) on a PC desktop than from the XBMC UI. Also, consolidating all the settings in one location, rather than have them be scattered throughout the XBMC UI, make things easier to manage and understand.

As an example, folder sort setting is now per folder, and I need to navigate into each one to change it. (Count the number of clicks required.) This would be easier on a PC config, where changing the default sort of a folder (on a graphical tree) only requires two clicks and two mouse movement of probably ~1cm distance each, with zero display lag. Compare and contrast.

So what settings should go into the program UI? Anything that requires ad hoc flexibility. Folder sort, to use the above example, would also be in the program UI. It's not an either-or situation; certain settings should be mirrored in both inside and outside configurators.

This resolves the dilemma Gamester17 raised, how to make a program plug&play, but also allow extensive customization. The answer is that you let the "installer" do the major customization outside of the program, and let the "user" do only minor changes within the program.

To sum, I suggest forgoing the basic/advanced paradigm, and instead use the static/ad hoc (or frequency of change) metric as the gauge. If an advanced setting needs to be changed frequently, then it would need to be within the program.

Anyway, this whole issue involves the "what", as in, what settings should be included in XBMC. My main beef with XBMC's usability is actually with the "how," as in, how those settings are implemented. To give you one of many: .. to denote a parent folder. This is a PC'ism that dates back to the 8.3 DOS days. And what's a "parent folder" anyway? Yes, I had to explain that to my mom, who has no PC experience. But I'll leave this beef to another time. I need to get current and install the new release.
I must agree with jmarshall on that point even if i like to customize everything.
Having too much direct available options is a pain. You'd have to spend hours to pass through and understand them all (if one day you want to change a detail, and you don't remember where exactly the option is or what its name is, you'll regret having this lot of options).
@TomJensen, you are missing the situation when XBMC comes pre-installed in an appliance-type set-top-box, you can not change anything outside the main GUI then.

My point is that you should not have have to use a computer with keyboard mouse to configure or setup XBMC. If someone gave you a XBMC Live CD then you should with it be able to fully be able to install, use, and enjoy XBMC with only a remote control as the only input device on to a preconfigured HTPC, ...they should not have to edit any XML files or run separate configuration software to setup XBMC to be usable. The default settings should meet 99% of the needs of 99% of the users out-of-the-box, at least that is the vision http://xbmc.org/about/vision/

XBMC should be the perfect ready to use out-of-the-box media center for Joe Average who know nothing about computers, a media center for the majority. However it should still try to accommodate those like to customize and personalize via skinning, custom artwork and metadata.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Should XBMC's "Advanced Feature Settings" be hidden from the GUI as they are today?0