Asus P5N7A-VM Chipset cooling? High temps
I've got an Asus P5N7A-VM board installed in an Antec Fusion case. For cooling, I am using a Scythe Ninja Mini CPU heatsink and 2 Noctua NF-S12-800 case fans.

The CPU temp is around 45 C.

But the GPU temp is around 90 C!

I think my setup is common enough among those here. Is anyone else experiencing high GPU temps with this board?

Should I replace the chipset heatsink? Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Yes, i also noticed very high gpu temps with the Asus P5N7A-VM. I was getting around 75 C so i installed a small fan next to the gpu and temp have dropped to 48-59 C. I think the standard heatsink should be ok. Im using a very slim hiper media case so you might get better results with the Antec. Btw I was sure i read somewhere that if the gpu reaches 80 C the system should shutdown(could be wrong though).

cheers.
There's a decent discussion over this in the AVSforums in the "official" thread for this board. One guy is pretty much nutz over the temps and last I looked not so many others shared his extreme concern. I will say that the heatsink is apparently designed for standard Intel CPU coolers so that the heatpipe can pick up some airflow from it - if you've got soemthing that isn't like the Intel cooler then it's probably not getting much airflow and could be augmented. I've honestly not checked temps on mine but using VDPAU it will likely be much higher - my CPU fan ought to cool it okay though. <shrug>

If the temps bother you by all means add a fan, it certainly won't hurt and even a little airflow beats the pants off of NO airflow. It's piece of mind if nothing...
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Thanks for the input guys!

Wow, I just went through 29 pages of that 'official' thread. The high temps do concern me but I don't think I want to change out the stock chipset heatsink. I temporarily placed the Ninja Mini fan (which I didn't put on the Ninja Mini) facing the chipset heatsink and the temps came down quite a bit. Now I need to figure out how to affix it so that it stays in place when I move the case around. Let me know if you have any ideas.
Small "zip ties" aka wire ties. Heck maybe even use the wire ties from plastic trash bags?
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
I also noticed the high temperatures on my P5N7A-VM.

I did some searching and found the answer on the Asus website in the FAQ:
http://support.asus.com/faq/faq.aspx?no=...uage=en-us

I found that this morning by pure luck. Before that I solved my high temperature by:
- turning my CPU coller so that it blows a little towards the chipset.
- by adding a extra fan over the chipset. This fan is connected to the case fans. Altogether they are controlled by speedfan, since QFAN-2 sucks. I have them connected to the case-fan connector of the motherboard and set the desired temperature of the chipset to 50C. The fan is almost silent and never gets a bove 60% setting (automatically controlled by spoeedfan).

Image Image Image
XBMC on HTPC with Ubuntu 12.04 connected to Amahi Home Server 750GB+1TB storage.
XBMC is probably the best thing that ever happened to me...!!! You people Rock!!!

HTPC: MB: Asus P5N7A-VM DDR: 2 x 1 GB Kingston CPU: Intel Core2DUO E8400 @ 3,0 GHz Coller: Scythe Shuriken
I build a new HTPC this weekend also with P5N7A-VM motherboard. And I have had a couple of sudden shutdowns already.

I'm still uncertain what the cause of this is, but I also suspect the chipset to get too hot. Could also be a defective PSU off course, but it's a Silverstone 550 watt PSU, with no components installed extra on the mobo, so the power should be sufficient.

If a shutdown occurs, I have to wait about 30 sec-1 min untill I can press the power key again.

How do you guys read the gpu/chipset temperature? It's not in the bios is it?
I'm using XBMC live.
droopy4u, yepp, same here, I have to wait a while for the chip to cool down before i can fire it up again. When temeratures reach around 95C the computer shuts down. Don't know about xbmc live, but usualy you can add the senors applet to the gnome-panel. make sure you have it installed.

sudo apt-get install sensors-applet
sensors-detect
Ok, let's hope your procedure works, because now I have no idea what the temps are. I'm going to open my box so I can feel it, and then will probably will rearrange my case fans a little bit.

Does it make sense to change the stock cooler?
I don't have this board, but I do have an 8200 board and it also got really hot. I removed the heatsink and replaced the compound with Arctic Silver 5 which reduced temps by about 5* and then I also placed a quiet 60mm case can on top with a 60mm->40mm reducer and used the 5v molex mod to run the fan on 5v. It is silent from more than a couple of feet away and now my chipset runs at about 32*C even during heavy use. Before it was 60-70*C.

You won't be able to fit a fan on there like I did, but it does give an idea what quality thermal compound and a very small amount of air will do.
Sorry to bump a bit of an old thread, but I'm using a stock Intel heatsink / fan combo with an E5200 and still have bad overheating problems causing reboots fairly reliably if I use graphics acceleration beyond basic Aero use in Windows 7. So the theory that it's supposed to work with the stock fan is probably untrue (and if so, ASUS is doing a seriously crappy job of testing even with straight retail Intel parts!). I suspect that's why the previous owner RMAed the board. My GPU is idling at about 75c and goes beyond 100c quickly if I run any game, for example, meaning I can't play games on this machine for longer than a few minutes. Considering how many times things crashed before I checked temperatures, I'm wondering if I might have even damaged the chip (exceeding operating temperatures frequently isn't good).

Some others seem to have had success ripping the ASUS part of the chipset heatsink off or by using Arctic Silver on there. I'll probably just remove the chipset heatsink and see how the temps look. Failing that, I'll probably just buy a new CPU heatsink / fan combo that's far wider so that the chipset gets some extra air coming off of the fins.

It seems like a real pain to have to deal with this though because I built this hoping to not need any more parts and now it seems you need a bulky aftermarket cooler of some sort, which diminishes its suitability for a lot of HTPC cases.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asus P5N7A-VM Chipset cooling? High temps0