Adding Droboshare as a media source to XBMC?
Question 
I have had no luck adding my drobo, which is on my network through a droboshare, to XBMC.
My droboshare is set to public (no username or password) but when I try to add it as a source, I get an "action not permitted" error.
Incidently, when I try the same thing on an Xbox, it prompts me for a username and password, though one is not set, and will not add it.
Adding a username and password to the droboshare has not worked either.
I have been in touch with Drobo and they are unable to help with the problem. I tried all droboapps that might help including fuppes and firefly, but to no avail.
Has anyone been successful accessing a Droboshare with XBMC?

My SageTV is able to access it using smb without a problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.
SageTV it is...
http://sagetv.com/hd_theater.html
I'm running a droboshare through an apple airport extreme. I have successfully mounted it and added using both samba and afp. I'm had the odd problem with the samba connection in directories with large numbers of files but the afp connection has been fine.
Thanks for the info. Hate to buy more hardware, I have routers, and switches coming out my ears, but I may have to.
sheldonicarluch Wrote:SageTV it is...
http://sagetv.com/hd_theater.html

It always cracks me up when people write posts like that like it's some sort of threat. The devs here don't make a cent whether or not you use XBMC.
smcnally75 Wrote:It always cracks me up when people write posts like that like it's some sort of threat. The devs here don't make a cent whether or not you use XBMC.

I received no response to my question for 4 days. After posting my "threat," I got a response in about an hour.
You got a response from someone brand new to the forum because you bumped the thread, not because they were worried about you not using XBMC. A polite bump would have yielded the same results.
Maybe simply because it bumped your post and someone else saw it?

There's normally over 200 threads (obviously far more posts) updated in this forum every 24 hours - no surprise that on occasion one gets overlooked.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

XBMC is the greatest media center software there is, and everyone who uses it wishes everyone else knew what they are missing. Despite that, if I can't mount my droboshare with it, I will use the second greatest, SageTV.
I think it is revelant to this thread to let droboshare owners know that option.
smcnally75, can you tell me why I can't add droboshare as a source? ...neither can drobo support or anyone on the drobospace forums. So threat or otherwise... SageTV it is.
byebye
I can't tell you why it doesn't work, but I can tell you that I have heard of other instances of people having issues with devices connecting with a Drobo. I thing the drobo is a great device but I didn't buy one specifically because of these reports. That, and the fact that they are very overpriced. Go on eBay and get a 1TB Western Digital MyBook World Edition for about $150 for your XBMC and you'll be happy as a pig in shit.
Thanks for the honest reply. Until recently, I had 5TB of network storage attached and life was good. Then the thought of any one of the drives taking a dive and costing hours of ripping kept me up at night. The drobo is the best and easiest way to keep everything backedup and be able to expand storage as drives capacities grow. The fact that you can mix and match any drive size justifies the premium for a drobo. With other drive arrays, I would have to buy all new 2TB drives in order to increase capacity. With the drobo, I can buy them as needed.

I will keep plugging away at getting XBMC to work because it rocks!
Whomever suggested AEB with a droboshare might not grasp what a droboshare is.

By droboshare you are referring to the actual NAS piggy-back yes? I use two drobos with my mini, and connect them via firewire 800 -> 400 (waiting on new mini for 800 connect). I can't speak for why droboshare wouldn't work, but why don't you plug it in directly to a PC/mini and share it out.

Also, if you are trying to connect it as a NAS - make sure you have SMB, NFS, CIFS, AFP, or whatever file sharing it uses. given it's proprietary nature, I would assume it's using some blend of one of the above.

If you can see the NAS via any other machine, your ATV/mini/XBMC should see it.
You are correct. The droboshare is the hardware device that turns a drobo into a NAS. XBMC sees it, but can't mount it. I have two different results:

XBMC on xbox:
Prompts me for a password weather I have it password protected or not and either way tells me I it can't access it.

XBMC on Apple TV:
Does not prompt for a password even if I have password protected it and gives me an "Operation not permitted" error.

I was easily able to map the drobo partitions to my Vista machine and my SageTV was able to add the partitions on my drobo as sources when it searched my network for media. It did so as smb://DROBOSHARE/Drobo.

I presently have it stashed in my closet by my smart box. I could stash a mini up there and share it, but I would prefer to use the hardware I have.

I guess I need to spend more time bugging drobo about this issue. They couldn't help me before, but it is their hardware.

Thanks for the input.
Only logical conclusion considering everything else seems to work.

So why won't XMBC connect to Droboshare's SMB? Where are the debug logs so we can see what's going on?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Adding Droboshare as a media source to XBMC?0