Need advice on new HTPC build
Hi guys,

My 2.0ghz core 2 duo nvidia 8400 HP DV2000 Laptop is starting to overheat, so I think its time I build a new HTPC. I have been paying a lot of attention to boards that have onboard nvidia or ati chips. But if XBMC dosn't support hadware accelleration, does this matter at all? Should I invest in a better processor instead? Do you think I would see much of a 1080p performance boost with quad core as opposed to dual core? I was pretty set on AMD, but if everything depends on the CPU should I splurge on an Intel? Should I go with one of the new i7 Nehalem procs or is that just over Kill? I would like to keep the build as low cost as possible, but I don't mind spending a little extra coin for better performance.

I plan on using this build as an .mkv .mp3 Jukebox. I back up all of my Blu-rays and play them of the HD, if I want to play them from disc I use my PS3.

Any ideas?

Shizz
A lot of questions on your thread. They have all already got responses in this forum, but nevermind, here are a few advices from my own experience :

XBMC doesn't support HA, so if you want to play 1080p movies with high bitrates, you need a powerfull CPU. You will read in this forum that if you want to go with amd, you will need at least Athlon X2 6400+. I tell you about athlon X2 because XBMC doesn't use more than 2 CPU (but one day, who knows ...).

The problem with this CPU is heat. It consumes a lot of power (TDP=95W if i remember well).

A lot of members of this forum prefer Intel CPU because they seem to be simply better for XBMC, but they are also a lot more expensive ...

Since XBMC doesn't use any GPU accel, you can go with integrated graphics which are not really powerfull, but doesn't heat at all.

Last thing : Buy good ram. RAM with good timings have a great impact on overall computer perfs. 2Go is enougth for xbmc on windows.
Intel E5200 is $66 online since I last checked. Is this expensive?

It is 2.5GHz, easily overclockable to 3.0, which is the magic number for XBMC running 1080p. Its TDP is 65W. Total system power usage with this [email protected] and one 1TB drive is 45W idle, 91W max (measured with a Kill-a-Watt P3).

No need to get fancy RAM. Buy on price, from a decent brand. CL6 is fine. Even if you are overclocking the CPU, a good motherboard will let memory speed stay the same. XBMC will run fine in 1GB in stripped down XP, but you might as well get 2 or 4, since memory is so cheap. My CL5 4GB went for $15 after rebate.

IGPs will generate substantial heat, which may cause problems if you overclock the FSB, and the heatsink on the IGP is wimpy. Stick with a good OC motherboard (high number of good reviews) if you are going to OC. There are some cheap ones on Newegg.
A couple of points:

Overclocking is not always successful for every user. You will find posts either way. YMMV

There have been a couple of dev posts indicating the recent code improvements in XBMC could have dropped the floor below the 3GHz level.

One thing is for sure I know of no post that someone with an e8400 has any problems.

Edit: just seen a thread with someone having an e8400. typical. dont let that put you off
Having problems getting your TV shows recognized?

Try my extra TV show matching REGEX here
Shizzyraw Wrote:Hi guys,

My 2.0ghz core 2 duo nvidia 8400 HP DV2000 Laptop is starting to overheat,

A quick question regarding this laptop.. did you have the HP remote for it? If so, were you able to use it with XBMC?
recommendations.

im running the following spec.

shuttle xpc with p35 chipset
intel core 2 duo e7400 2.8ghz
nvidia 9800gt graphics card
4gb ram

windows 7x64
using wireless mini keyboard
and windows mobile phone with mobile src as remote.

using alpha 1 build.

so far... things couldn't be better.

planning to buy a more compatible remote with window 7x64
miljbee Wrote:XBMC doesn't support HA, so if you want to play 1080p movies with high bitrates, you need a powerfull CPU.

I play 1080p fine on my old AMD 3200+
XBMC System:
Windows 7, E8400, 2GB Ram, 8800GTS, 12.3 “Frodo”, Aeon Nox 4.1.9

Gaming Rig:
Windows 7, i72600k, 8GB Ram, Radeon HD 6950 2 GB, 128GB SSD.
I run XBMC on a C2D 2.66Ghz (E8200), 4GB RAM and the built-in Intel G45 graphics chip. The RAM is overkill but from what I can tell the processor is in the right neighborhood.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need advice on new HTPC build0