Restart / Reboot not working
If I select restart or reboot, XBMC shuts down, but I'm left looking at the bootup screen. Pressing Alt-F2 and my account is logged in and just sitting at the command line.

I installed according to the wiki entry to install without a desktop, and I would've sworn I had this working before (maybe it was when I had the desktop version)

Is there something additional I need to do or should this have worked 'out of the box' ?
That wiki entry is pretty crappy, but I don't think the reasons I came to that conclusion are in effect here. Check that you're running in standalone mode and that dbus/hal are functioning properly.
Standalone mode? How would I check these?
This is my .xsession, and it appears that I am indeed in standalone mode, however I am unsure how to check dbus/hal.

Quote:export XBMC_PLATFORM_MODE=1
/usr/share/xbmc/xbmc.bin -q -p --standalone
case "$?" in
0 ) # Quit
touch /tmp/noRestartXBMC
break ;;
64 ) # Shutdown System
sleep 10 ;;
65 ) # Warm Reboot
echo Restarting XBMC ... ;;
66 ) # Reboot System
sleep 10 ;;
* ) ;;
esac
You need rights to change the power state. Run the next commands or make a script:

Quote:# Allow powerdown
polkit-auth --user ${XBMC_USER} --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown
polkit-auth --user ${XBMC_USER} --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown-multiple-sessions
polkit-auth --user ${XBMC_USER} --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot
polkit-auth --user ${XBMC_USER} --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot-multiple-sessions
polkit-auth --user ${XBMC_USER} --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.set-powersave
polkit-auth --user ${XBMC_USER} --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.suspend
polkit-auth --user ${XBMC_USER} --grant org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.hibernate

there is ${XBMC_USER} xbmc user name. It worked for me.
Also double check in the settings that the action for hitting the "shutdown" button actually shutdown down the computer, and not exits the application. Exit is the default. The option "standalone" might override that option and it might not be visible though, i'm not familiar with what standalone does.
Maxim Wrote:Also double check in the settings that the action for hitting the "shutdown" button actually shutdown down the computer, and not exits the application. Exit is the default. The option "standalone" might override that option and it might not be visible though, i'm not familiar with what standalone does.

xbmc --standalone

Standalone mostly changes some settings default to fit better with a system meant solely for XBMC, and currently it will.
mount external devices by default (otherwise we assume underlying desktop enviornment does it, ie gnome)
std resolution will be best fullscreen resolution available.
will not allow exit at all, will shutdown system instead.
/OT

Cheers,
Tobias.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
althekiller Wrote:That wiki entry is pretty crappy, but I don't think the reasons I came to that conclusion are in effect here. Check that you're running in standalone mode and that dbus/hal are functioning properly.

If you're speaking about the guide. within I tried to share with everybody how to install xbmc without linux knowledge, please also be so kind so share your ideas with me how to improve it!

I think it helped for a lot of folks and reduce the huge number of questions on installing xbmc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Restart / Reboot not working0