XBMC vs Plex
Hey, hoping a developer can chime in here and let me know what the differences are in processing and display.

With XBMC I've always seen slight tearing in 720 and 1080p content.
With Plex, the video is smooth and I don't see tearing even slightly on 1080p.

Hardware:
mini 2.16ghz c2d 2g ram Leopard (latest SVN xbmc) - vertical sync enabled
DVI-> HDMI to Pioneer Kuro 6010, Audio out TOSlink to Pioneer elite receiver.

I guess I'm just wondering why Plex doesn't see the issue but XBMC does. Is there that much diversion between code now? Plex was originally osxbmc split-off so i imagined they were fairly close at one point, though the more recent XBMC builds see the issue and older or newer Plex builds do not.

Thanks
Did you make sure vsync is enabled in settings?
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I would need to get samples of the problem content, 100MBs or so that shows the issue.

PM or email me at davilla [at] xbmc [dot] org for access to a private ftp server where you can upload the samples.
Hey guys, ya vsync was enabled - that was the first suggestion i had found.

This happens on my macbook pro or mini -> tv.

It's anything, that is > 720p Anything I can stick in the advanced settings, is this not normal?

I'm going to try to compile my own svn (from latest). I grabbed one prebuilt from the threads in the sticky area.
need to get samples.
i have samples, where you want em?
davilla Wrote:PM or email me at davilla [at] xbmc [dot] org for access to a private ftp server where you can upload the samples.

see above.
I've looked at the code differences, and there's not a lot. First off, XBMC will log when vsync is enabled or disabled.

Secondly, there is some slight changes to the Flip() routine to get it working better on a wider selection of video cards, which Plex have not yet taken.

What's the chipset in the mac mini. I have the Intel GMA950 in mine, and vsync works perfectly, no matter what the material (I output to 1080p).

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

And the culprit was "enable auto refresh". Disabling it removed the tearing.
Ah - I seem to recall that I had that same thing as well a while back.

We need to get those routines you added the other day in play Smile

Yep- definitely auto refresh (disable) was the fix. I've not seen any tearing in anything so far. Sorry to have bothered you with something so insignificant--but at least davilla could reproduce it until we found that little bugger enabled Wink

Hopefully this helps someone else out. I wonder if this was the same issue on my friend's ATV....
Yep - thanks very much for bringing it up. If we don't fix it, we'll disable it for 9.04 (on OS X)

Cheers,
Jonathan

fixed a few more auto refresh issues, svn 18330. auto refresh is disabled under osx no matter what the gui setting says.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC vs Plex0