Asus M3N78-VM digital audio problems
xnappo I tried that fix, nothing changed in alsamixer but I can't actually test, I'm not at home just ssh'd into my machine. I'll try it later, be kicking myself if that's all it is.

aplay -l
Code:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: VT1708B Analog [VT1708B Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/2
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

aplay -L
Code:
default:CARD=NVidia
    HDA NVidia, VT1708B Analog
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
    HDMI Audio Output
null
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
Hey Guys,

if xnappo's fix does not work, I remembered another issue I ran into.

If you are using the latest NVIDIA drivers like 180+ and you have this in your xorg.conf file,

Option "UseEDID" "FALSE"

It will sometimes kill your audio outputs (DIGITAL) only. You need to use this.

Option "ModeValidation" "NoEdidModes"

Dave
xnappo - yeah I saw that on the stickies - no luck unfortunately.

rodercot - I don't have that in my xorg.conf - I'll try adding the alternative line anyway tonight.
I got my stuff setup. I don't have anything coming from the optical but everything looks good in terms of alsamixer and aplay output. speaker-test works fine, i just don't actually hear anything. I'm guessing that it will work when I make my cable for the header today. I don't actually have ANYTHING in /etc/asound.conf or in a local .asoundrc file in my home directory. Note that there is apparently a bug in alsa in terms of the optical connection:

https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-b...hp?id=4330

Also, I talked to faberfox1 on IRC who actually DID get the optical output to work when he setup a box for his friend (using m3n78-mv). He said he used the latest svn from a few weeks ago. He's going to get the particulars and report back to me.

--Nick
finally got a chance to test the coax connection via motherboard header -- works great. I imagine the someone will figure out the backplane connection but this will hold me over.
Arg, I must be doing something seriously wrong. Still can't get header to work.

What do you have for audio config in XBMC? e.g. "Audio output device" and "Passthrough output device"? I take it you didn't need a special asoundrc/conf to get this working?

Got everything in an antec fusion case now which look great (if a little huge), but battling to get IR and LCD working now. Also getting loads of read errors from the dvd drive sometimes but not others, which is weird.

Think I'm going to wipe and do a clean install of everything tonight, fingers crossed that might solve some of my probs!
From what I can gather, on Windows you have to open a VIA control panel app and switch the output from HDMI to Optical to get it to work. We need a similar switch for alsa which is either already there and we just don't know how to use it or it hasn't been implemented yet. It's frustrating, I don't know enough about alsa to fix this yet, but I'm learning.

Hey mr.b have you heard back from faberfox1 yet?
I've gotten it to work only with the aux spdif connection from 3 pins located up by the last pci slot on the motherboard. You NEED to run the alsaupgrade script with -snap and after reboot you'll see:
iec958 iec958D iec958 1
Check http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1058464
But I did it with an external spdif and an alsa upgrade with snapshot. That's it. Change settings to digital in XBMC and that's it.
Best of luck. And the link I posted has SnafuFlux with how he got HDMI to work as well off this board.
You guys found a solution or simply switched motherboards? Sad)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asus M3N78-VM digital audio problems0