How do I troubleshoot a "severe" lockup?
The log is absolutely useless in these cases. We need a stacktrace for there to be any hope in fixing this.
Ok, the Getting a Stacktrace section of the wiki is not very informative... sorry i'm a newb to this...

How exactly do I go about getting a stack trace? I'm now using the SVN PPA repo and have installed xbmc-common-dbg... I have version 9.04.3+svn23539-jaunty1 installed right now..

I'd be more than happy to submit a stack trace, but I'm not sure where I would find it...
althekiller Wrote:The log is absolutely useless in these cases. We need a stacktrace for there to be any hope in fixing this.

Currently xbmc is locking the system .. Killing in the shell doesn't work ..

Anyway to get the stack trace in this state ?
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
CapnBry Wrote:You will also probably have to turn on cores before launching xbmc from that terminal
Code:
ulimit -c unlimited
xbmc
Run it till it locks then do the killall above. You should see "Segmentation fault (core dumped)" in the terminal window and there should be a core.XXXX file in that directory.

althekiller Wrote:You can kill xbmc with "killall -SEGV xbmc.bin" to generate a core file then examine it for deadlock (obviously the problem here) with gdb. You may need to launch XBMC from the console for the core to be generated properly.

Redth Wrote:Ok, the Getting a Stacktrace section of the wiki is not very informative... sorry i'm a newb to this...

How exactly do I go about getting a stack trace? I'm now using the SVN PPA repo and have installed xbmc-common-dbg... I have version 9.04.3+svn23539-jaunty1 installed right now..

I'd be more than happy to submit a stack trace, but I'm not sure where I would find it...

See quotes on top ..
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
Well, as you said, the system gets locked up... doing the killall -SEGV from a ssh session does NOT work....

So, not sure how we're going to diagnose this..
Redth Wrote:Well, as you said, the system gets locked up... doing the killall -SEGV from a ssh session does NOT work....

So, not sure how we're going to diagnose this..

Can you try it as well since mine is an upgrade ... I am going to try again when I get home as well with latest svn release ..
Redth Wrote:doing the killall -SEGV from a ssh session does NOT work....
Try
Code:
pkill -SIGSEGV xbmc.bin
instead.
Will give that a try tonight...
Maxim Wrote:Try
Code:
pkill -SIGSEGV xbmc.bin
instead.

Tried both commands and it is still doesn't kill it .. It is hanging on executing the command ..
Ok, so I have things working stable now on Jaunty.

Here's what I did:
1) Installed the XBMC SVN PPA for Jaunty so that I have a pretty recent SVN build, but without the hassle of checking out the source and compiling it myself Smile

2) Followed this forum post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582 and followed the steps for the 'Optimal' configuration. This basically involved getting kernel 2.6.30 as well as getting the "latest stable Xorg drivers (via the X-Updates PPA), enable UXA acceleration and create a workaround for the MTRR bug.".

I now have an up to date Jaunty configuration that is working fine, haven't had it hang yet, and it's successfully scanned in all my TV Shows, Movies, and Music just fine!

Hopefully this helps someone else, and maybe gets you guys to upgrade from Hardy or Intrepid to the otherwise awesome Jaunty Smile Thanks for all the suggestions, I have no idea what 'changed' to fix it (either it was the kernel or xorg drivers or both), but it's working
That solved my problem as well .. Thanks for the investigating it ... I have an intel videocard ( atom 330 )
any reason why I should go back from Hardy to Jaunty?
jverdeyen Wrote:any reason why I should go back from Hardy to Jaunty?

Keeping up with the times I guess... I like to run the latest stable always, eventually Hardy will no longer be supported...
I wanted to add that I have been doing more testing and it turns out Kernel 2.6.30 is NOT required to get things stable... Simply installing the newer xorg driver from the x-edgers ppa should do the trick.

This will be helpful since if you install 2.6.30, you'd need to mess around with the lirc kernel modules which is a bit of a pain, otherwise you'd have broken remote support...

Found this out the hard way, decided before i went and mucked around with lirc i would try booting back to 2.6.28-15, and voila, it works fine...

So, the xorg driver does the trick!
I wonder if the next version of Ubuntu fixes this issue ? It is scheduled for October 29, 2009.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do I troubleshoot a "severe" lockup?0