Building small HTPC for XBMC - recommendations?
Hi

I've been using XBMC for years on the Xbox. With all the new great skins, features and HD it looks like the old xbox is starting to show it's age. I'm starting to look into building a new box just for XBMC. Right now price is a BIG issue. It looks like a good starting price will be $300 to $400. What about the Apple TV? You can get one refurb. for $199. How's the performance? What's the downside of that hardware over others.

Thanks
Dell Inspiron 530 with E5200 Dual Core Processor, 3GB RAM, 320GB Harddrive, and Windows Vista for $299 (Regular Price: $399):
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/c...395__2_9__

Not the best graphics but if you insist on running Windows then then only the CPU is important and that will play most 1080p Wink

Quote:Intel® Pentium® dual-core processor E5200 (2MB L2, 2.5GHz, 800 FSB)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic Service Pack 1
Microsoft Works 9.0
1Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis
3GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 DIMMs
320GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
16X DVD+/-RW Drive
No Monitor
Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)
Dell Entry USB Keyboard and Laser Mouse
Dell 19 in 1 Media Card Reader
No Modem Option
My Accessories
McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 30-Days
WildTangent Games
My Service
Dell Remote Access, free basic service
Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year
Also Includes
Mouse included with Keyboard purchase
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0 Multi-Language
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
Windows Vista™ Basic
No Entertainment software pre-installed
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I've put together this list in order to build my own HTPC. I would appreciate any thoughts, especially in regards to making it cheaper without diminishing its ability. I'm going to use windows and I would like 1080p ability with no problems using Aeon and of course quiet.

The one thing I'm really unsure about is the PSU as it needs to be quiet and still have enough juice

Memory: A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W ATX12V Power Supply
Case: SILVERSTONE LC13B-E ATX
MB: GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 9400
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz
HD: Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB
DRIVE: LG Black Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM
Fan: Scythe SCSK-1000 100mm "SHURIKEN" CPU Cooler

Thanks.

(apologies to the OP but I thought this would be better than starting yet another hardware thread)
Regarding the Inspiron 530s: it is a nice offer and it may play 1080p.

But it has not much room for improvement for example in case you want to upgrade the video graphics with geforce 9400 (a must for hardware acceleration in XBMC) and HDMI out to your flat panel. It will set you back around $50.

Considerations:

1. Power supply 250W: although Dell allows you to choose an ATI card (needs little power), the geforce 8 and 9 series require a minimum of 300W.

2. From Dell support pages they advise not to store this system in an enclosed environment: The room ambient temperature needs to be a consideration when installing your computer in an enclosure. For example, if the ambient room temperature is at 25° C (77° F), depending on your computer's specifications, you only have 5° to 10° C (9° to 18° F) temperature margin before you reach your computer's maximum operating temperature.

3. PCI-E slot size: I saw some comments that these are small, but this time I could not find any information in the support pages. To be checked.

4. Sound SPDIF: I am not sure how to connect sound to a DD5.1 receiver. I cannot find a coaxial or optical output. Neither, ss with previous Dells, is it clear if there is an SPDIF connector on the motherboard that could connect to the video card and transport the sound through HDMI.

For the question about the Apple TV: I appreciate your question, since I am in the same position as yourself.

The limitations are 720p only.

Other considerations:
* would like to know how good sound quality is
* It will boot into a menu only and not directly into XBMC
* I am not sure if it can shutdown by remote.

I hope someone that owns an ATV can give a more precise feedback.
Rrrr Wrote:Regarding the Inspiron 530s: it is a nice offer and it may play 1080p.

But it has not much room for improvement for example in case you want to upgrade the video graphics with geforce 9400 (a must for hardware acceleration in XBMC)
This is the XBMC for Windows forum, and XBMC for Windows does not support hardware accelerated video decoding so the graphics controller does not really matter with XBMC for Windows, only the CPU since all video is purely decoded with the CPU in XBMC for Windows.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
That's right.

As long as you want a Windows machine and run XBMC, you need to consider:
- esthetics & cooling: a Dell box in front of your eyes with cables or enclose it in a cupboard
- SPDIF audio out, if you want to connect to a sound amplifier
- remote control

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Building small HTPC for XBMC - recommendations?1