Apple newbie XBMC (mac mini) question
Although being a windows user / developer I do love apple stuff... I made the decision to buy a new mac mini... I do have a couple of questions though, which you probably can answer (most of the questions are partly answered by reading the forums, but it would be really sure and have all the answers on one place for people like me):

- Is or is the mini (new mac mini, 2,0 ghz, 2 gb) not able to play full HD material.
- I read all about the new Stark skin. Can you use this skin on the mac mini? In other words, which version of XBMC do you need for Stark? And is this version available for the apple?
- I see there is a stable release (8.10, codenamed Atlantis) to download for the apple... Are there newer versions, and if so, where can you find newer version?
- Can you (who already use XBMC on a mac) tell me how control XBMC? Do you use the apple remote? Does it work good?
- If you have a mac mini, can you tell me some of your experiences? How do you use it?

Thanks
- Is or is the mini (new mac mini, 2,0 ghz, 2 gb) not able to play full HD material.

Absolutely.

- I read all about the new Stark skin. Can you use this skin on the mac mini? In other words, which version of XBMC do you need for Stark? And is this version available for the apple?
I have no idea.

- I see there is a stable release (8.10, codenamed Atlantis) to download for the apple... Are there newer versions, and if so, where can you find newer version?
8.10 is the latest. It works perfectly for me.
- Can you (who already use XBMC on a mac) tell me how control XBMC? Do you use the apple remote? Does it work good?
I just posted a thread about using the Menu button to start XBMC. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=47110 After that, it works fine, though the limited number of buttons is a little annoying. But, that's not a problem with XBMC.
- If you have a mac mini, can you tell me some of your experiences? How do you use it?
I've had the new mini for a week. It's nice. I have it connected to a new Samsung LN46A650A. I use XBMC to play ripped DVDs and downloaded content (avi's). I have it hooked up, via the digital audio, to my stereo receiver and it gets full 5.1 sound. I watched some shows via Hulu last night (not HD, their HD content is very sparse currently), and it was better than I expected. That is definitely an option.

I will admit that I see keep the wireless mouse/keyboard handy for when I need them, which is occasionally. The Apple Remote can't do everything.

I'm seriously considering whether or not to continue paying DirecTv $75 a month. Unfortunately, I do not get digital TV broadcasts where I live
Hi,
just a few commments to my 4 weeks experience with a new MAC Mini (2 GHz, startet with 1Gig RAM, upgraded to 4 Gig today):

The combination of the MAC and XBMC is the best MC solution to my experience today. It plays roughly everything in brilliant quality on my 42" Panasonic plasma. No matter whether it's DVD, 720p or 1080p footage, beside some audio isues with WMF everything works perfect.
To answer your questions:

"- Is or is the mini (new mac mini, 2,0 ghz, 2 gb) not able to play full HD material."

MAC Mini in the smallest possible configuration plays full HD without any issues.

No idea

I'm using Babylon Beta without real issues

KeySonic Keyboard with integrated touchpad (ACK-540MAC-RF)
Works not too bad beside some issues when you have load on the USB-bus. Hope this get's improved when I move my external disks to FW end of the week.

I use it primarily for XBMC and for downloads cause I'm using a MacBook for my dayly work

Hope this helps
Peter
9.04 Babylon is the latest release version.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple newbie XBMC (mac mini) question0