CD, DVD and mouse problems
First I'd like to say XBMC is an excellent media center distribution. I only have these 2 problems that still bother me. I'm using the live distribution, installed on a Compact Flash card, which is attached with a CF-to-IDE adapter, showing to the PC as a normal IDE drive.

1. While all media files run pretty much perfectly from USB sticks and USB drives, everything seems to stutter from CD's and DVD's. The sound disappears randomly for about 1 second at a time and quite often.

While it is not terrible when watching a movie, it is unbearable when trying to listen to an audio-CD. I can't use XBMC for that at this point at all. DVD movies also suddenly stop at some point and return back to the menu, forcing me to restart the movie and continue where I left.

I've tried changing the DVD-drive, it's a brand new LG now and I also made sure with hdparm that DMA is ON. Didn't help.

2. Mouse works usually as expected, but sometimes it stops accepting the left button press and starts lagging behind the movement. When this happens, a full reboot is needed because nothing can be selected anymore. How do I fix this? It is a regular USB-mouse, I've tried both wired and wireless.

And one problem that I solved on my own, as a tip for the others:
I have a Terratec sound card with an optical output. By default, XBMC didn't output anything to the amplifier and activating SPDIF from the settings alone did not help (but is also required from there).

However, changing to a console with Ctrl+Alt+F2, logging in (user: xbmc, password: your own) and starting "alsamixer" fixed the problem. I unmuted all IEC-related stuff there (arrow keys and "m") and then rebooted with Ctrl+Alt+Del (not necessarily needed). Then the optical output worked!

Activating IEC automatically is something the XBMC developers might want to consider in the future, so that this extra console step (while really easy) could be skipped. If I can help by providing additional information on this specific sound card, please let me know.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
CD, DVD and mouse problems0