[MAC] Mac Mini & Resolution & judder
Ayla Wrote:Is there any progress on this davilla?

It's such a great feature in XBMC on Linux, and one of the only major features that I miss on XBMC for OS X Smile

Is it theoretically possible to directly call a display refresh change in OS X from within XBMC or do you need a third party app (like cscreen for example)?

To do display changes from inside XBMC we need the display captured and run a real GL window. Only XBMC for AppleTV runs a real GL window as it needs this to get in front of frontrow. Running a real GL window also mean that nothing (growl, notifications, etc) will ever appear above XBMC when in fullscreen. So several issues to resolve.
davilla Wrote:To do display changes from inside XBMC we need the display captured and run a real GL window. Only XBMC for AppleTV runs a real GL window as it needs this to get in front of frontrow. Running a real GL window also mean that nothing (growl, notifications, etc) will ever appear above XBMC when in fullscreen. So several issues to resolve.

Thanks for the reply davilla!

So, XBMC for OS X could run in a GL window too (if someone coded it) even though you would disable growl notifications etc. that way?

Also, have you considered the idea of allowing XBMC for OS X to run a script before playing a video file, so someone clever could write a small script that checked display resolution / refresh (with mediainfo for example) and then changed the refresh with cscreen or similar?

Just to have some automation of refresh rate changes until (if ever) XBMC for OS X get's native auto refresh changing (GL window).
Ayla Wrote:Thanks for the reply davilla!

So, XBMC for OS X could run in a GL window too (if someone coded it) even though you would disable growl notifications etc. that way?

Also, have you considered the idea of allowing XBMC for OS X to run a script before playing a video file, so someone clever could write a small script that checked display resolution / refresh (with mediainfo for example) and then changed the refresh with cscreen or similar?

Just to have some automation of refresh rate changes until (if ever) XBMC for OS X get's native auto refresh changing (GL window).

XBMC does run a GL windows, there are two flavors, the real GL window and what we call a windowed GL. And there's a way to force XBMC to run in a real GL window but that's not going to help change the display rez/refresh rate.

"run a script before playing a video file", nah it's hacky and raises too many dependency/support issues.
Could it be done like this? http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...aying+file
I will try and make a script, using the same method as the Home Theater Experience script, where, when clicking Play on a video, it uses MediaInfo CLI for OS X to check the refresh rate of the selected video and then based on the fps, calls "cscreen" or similar to do the refresh change, and then starts the video in the end.

I'm NOT a programmer, so I'm not sure I will succeed, but maybe I can get some help from the people on this forum Smile

I think this solution will be OK, until native refresh switching is implemented. It's also free (if I can avoid SwitchResX and use a CLI like cscreen).

I can already think of one important question:

How do I parse the video (file location/path), I have selected to Play in XBMC, to MediaInfo?

Is there already a function in XBMC for this (I think there is a function that reveals the location of the video file, I think I saw it somewhere)?

Any hints? Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] Mac Mini & Resolution & judder0