how to set windowedFullscreen instead of fullscreen (RemoteBuddy OSD menu issue)
Question 
As some others I'm using RemoteBuddy. The OSD menu of RemoteBuddy is not displayed because XBMC is the "topmost" window when it's in fullscreen.

This issue is not new and I searched through the forum and the tracker, but I still didn't found an answer.

I assume that the RemoteBuddy OSD would display when XBMC is in "windowedFullscreen" mode.

What I found here: http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/16006 is that there might be a "gl_osx_fullscreen" setting or a "--standalone" command line parameter which switches between fullscreen and windowedFullscreen.

Does anyone know more about that? Do these settings exist? Do they work?

At http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/15365 and http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/11703 I found that a windowedFullscreen mode was added to XBMC a long time ago and somewhere else I learned that this should be the default. Is this true?

Or to make a long story short: is there any final solution for using XBMC NOT in "topmost fullscreen" mode but in a fullscreen where another program can show another window in?

(Like, for example, EyeTV - when EyeTV is in fullscreen, the RemoteBuddy OSD still works).

And BTW: thanks for XBMC on the Mac. I'm a switcher from MediaPortal and so far I found that - for me - XBMC on the Mac works far, far, far better than MediaPortal on XP.
--standalone means startup in fullscreen.

gl_osx_fullscreen will not help as this means to use a real GL fullscreen for rendering. Nothing gets above it.

What you want is windowed fullscreen but now the level of the window comes into play.

starting at line 398 in xbmc/osx/CocoaUtils.m
Quote: // Own'ed, Everything is below our window...
[mainWindow setLevel:CGShieldingWindowLevel()];
// Uncomment this to debug fullscreen on a one display system
//[mainWindow setLevel:NSNormalWindowLevel];

Currently, the window level is set to CGShieldingWindowLevel which means, nothing gets above it. You want a build with the window level set to NSNormalWindowLevel. Notice that this is in code but commented out. I interchange the levels when debugging fullscreen problems on a one screen box (MacBook).

I have some thoughts on exposing this but have to decided anything. For now, you best bet is to do your own build. It's not that hard, see the readme.osx.
thank your for this good feedback. I will check if I'm able to run a build of my own.

I would like to have a switch somewhere, for example in the advancedsettings.xml for this - as far as I can see this would result in a simple if... then...else in the code, wouldn't it?
Like I said, still thinking about the ramifications of exposing this. Code-wise, it's trivial.
davilla Wrote:Like I said, still thinking about the ramifications of exposing this. Code-wise, it's trivial.

This would be very useful to have.. out of curiosity what are your concerns regarding this feature?
the biggest is increased user support from users mis-configuring this setting.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
how to set windowedFullscreen instead of fullscreen (RemoteBuddy OSD menu issue)0