Mini mac (1.83dc) 1080p to 720p
I really want to go mac but don't know if I can afford the new mini mac setup that I would really like. My TV is only 720p anyway...

Here is my question: If I have a 1080p video and I attempt to play it on xbmc to my 720p TV, will it work?
Do I have to worry about the older (1.83 dc, not the new mini mac) not being able to decode 1080p fast enough to play to 720p TV. Does that make sense... If I download a 1080p movie is there a way to play it as 720p so that it doesn't drop frames or would it have to reencoded?
Quote:If I have a 1080p video and I attempt to play it on xbmc to my 720p TV, will it work?

You don't say what hareware you are using, so I have no clue.

Quote:If I download a 1080p movie is there a way to play it as 720p so that it doesn't drop frames or would it have to reencoded?

Depends on how it was encoded in the first place. All 1080p content does NOT have the same decoding requirements. It all depends on how it was encoded in the first place.
davilla Wrote:You don't say what hareware you are using, so I have no clue.

Depends on how it was encoded in the first place. All 1080p content does NOT have the same decoding requirements. It all depends on how it was encoded in the first place.
My plan would be to buy a now discounted Mac mini 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (previous generation) . This will play 720p mkv files, my main concern is what if I download a 1080p movie that someone else has posted, because my TV will only do 720p can I still watch the video at a reduced resolution with no issues? Can XBMC downgrade from 1080p to 720p on the fly and will it be watchable?
From what I've read the 1.83 dc mini mac isn't capable of playing 1080p (and lets just assume it isn't).

I realize this may be a stupid question for some but I'd still like an answer.
prn_star Wrote:My plan would be to buy a now discounted Mac mini 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (previous generation) . This will play 720p mkv files, my main concern is what if I download a 1080p movie that someone else has posted, because my TV will only do 720p can I still watch the video at a reduced resolution with no issues? Can XBMC downgrade from 1080p to 720p on the fly and will it be watchable?
From what I've read the 1.83 dc mini mac isn't capable of playing 1080p (and lets just assume it isn't).

I realize this may be a stupid question for some but I'd still like an answer.

If you mean ANY 1080p that you might download then no. Again 1080p is just one characteristic, the other is the encoding characteristic. Without any info on that, then I would say no, you will not be able to download just any 1080p from the "net" and expect it to play.

What's the price delta between the discontinued version vs the new version?

1080p -> 720p would require transcoding. Remember that decoded resolution and display resolution are two different things.
Thats perfect, thank you very much for your time and assistance.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mini mac (1.83dc) 1080p to 720p0