Noob Linux for XBMC gen questions
OK I just installed Intrepid with the express intent to run XBMC and probably SlimServer for my squeeze box...

Just some silly noob Intrepid for XBMC questions...

1. Should I install all updates Intrepid notifies me of?

2. Since I will be using the full version of Intrepid and plan to follow the Wiki instructions as much as I can since it was designed for a mini install... Is there any other guides for full GUI versions on Intrepid, I tried the online guide but didn't find much.

3. Anything that sticks out I should be looking for problem wise with a base install of intrepid. I know about the MKV/Dualcore issue and plan to eventually move to the hardware assist line in SVN if that becomes a problem. I also picked up a M$ ir receiver to replace my USB-UIRT...
1. See ubuntuforums.
2. Take that guide with a grain of salt. It is not linux novice friendly. (read: I badly want to take it down, but don't feel like writing an alternative)
3. Not really, even the imbalanced core usage problem is "Intrepid" specific. It just has to do with some lib that was updated at that time. Feel free to sift through trac and confirm deny any open tickets.
althekiller Wrote:1. See ubuntuforums.

They will know if the default unbuntu updates will be a problem with xbmc? One would think these forums are the perfect place to ask. Sorry if its such a linux/xbmc noob thing to ask...

I just did a default install of the full ubuntu 8.10 version, at first boot it prompted a fair number of updates automatically. From what I can tell in the update app, these are mostly security fixes (like windows update). I assume they are ok to install but want to ask anyways...
i with you on these updates, did not know for sure. so what i did was just install xbmc on the vanilla 8.10. Since everything is working, i did not even bother with the ubuntu updates.
Motherboard P5N7A-VM, E8400 C2D 3.0 processor. NVIDIA 9300 graphics card. OpenELEC Stable - Generic x86_64 Version:3.2.4
We would NOT force you to use a lower patch level of your OS just to run our app. That would be ignorant and irresponsible. Any system updates that break XBMC will be fixed/worked around as soon as we can. ALWAYS INSTALL ALL UPDATES!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Noob Linux for XBMC gen questions0