New Mac Mini purchase
hi all, I am thinking about getting a new mini to replace my atv. Im just looking at the base model as $599. If all I was going to do is run Xbmc/PLEX. Is 1gig of ram sufficient for this? I know another gig isnt that much more but, just getting my wife to agree to the base model was hell. Any thoughts?
schwallman Wrote:hi all, I am thinking about getting a new mini to replace my atv. Im just looking at the base model as $599. If all I was going to do is run Xbmc/PLEX. Is 1gig of ram sufficient for this? I know another gig isnt that much more but, just getting my wife to agree to the base model was hell. Any thoughts?

1GB is ok but it will be much snapper with 2GB or 4GB of ram.
yeah i figured it would be. Ill probably just sneek it in there and blame it on tax. So do you think there is a loss in quality at all using the mini dvi to dvi then dvi to hdmi?
schwallman Wrote:So do you think there is a loss in quality at all using the mini dvi to dvi then dvi to hdmi?

no, should be fine.
sweet. thanks for the replies
davilla Wrote:1GB is ok but it will be much snapper with 2GB or 4GB of ram.

Do you think there would be a major difference between 2 and 4?

philip
not for XBMC, I see a big defference between 2 and 4 under my MacBook but then I'm doing development with compiles and all sorts of other things.
If you want to buy a memory I recommend you to get 1 memory of 2gb and replace only one slot, this way you will have 2.5gb
dafranca Wrote:If you want to buy a memory I recommend you to get 1 memory of 2gb and replace only one slot, this way you will have 2.5gb

Maybe with the older MacMinis, the newer one comes with a single 1GB stick with one free slot, so get a 2GB stick and get 3GB but might as well go for 4GB since you are already inside the MacMini and that's the hard part.
davilla Wrote:Maybe with the older MacMinis, the newer one comes with a single 1GB stick with one free slot, so get a 2GB stick and get 3GB but might as well go for 4GB since you are already inside the MacMini and that's the hard part.

It wasn't much more for the 4gigs so I just went with that from my local Apple store. It's pretty nice and seems quite a bit smoother than my older Mini (1.83 with 2 gigs). Probably all in my mind...

I do have it connected for now on the same hdtv as the atv and so I get to compare xbmc on the ATV with Plex & xbmc on the new Mini. I've got to tell you that the ATV is awfully nice for the price. The skin is not quite as smooth as on the Mini but the video is great. Since I use the Mini as my main system it's actually nice to be able to flip around.

Will move the ATV to another TV in a bit. I've been streaming over wireless G so perhaps that is why the ATV seems a bit sluggish in the skin ? I've since taken to using Basic-101 and it's much snappier.

philip
pmcd Wrote:It wasn't much more for the 4gigs so I just went with that from my local Apple store. It's pretty nice and seems quite a bit smoother than my older Mini (1.83 with 2 gigs). Probably all in my mind...

I do have it connected for now on the same hdtv as the atv and so I get to compare xbmc on the ATV with Plex & xbmc on the new Mini. I've got to tell you that the ATV is awfully nice for the price. The skin is not quite as smooth as on the Mini but the video is great. Since I use the Mini as my main system it's actually nice to be able to flip around.

Will move the ATV to another TV in a bit. I've been streaming over wireless G so perhaps that is why the ATV seems a bit sluggish in the skin ? I've since taken to using Basic-101 and it's much snappier.

philip

Hi,

I'm very interested in the results of playing 1080p mkv-files. At the moment I want to buy a new mac mini instead of my current HTPC (Quadcore Q8300 en Nvidia GPU 9400 motherboard) with the purpose of running XBMC to it. What are your general impressions of the performance of XBMC. I also noticed that they will pay attention to the new NVIDIA gpu's in the future release 9.04 => do they mean also nvidia's igpu 9400 ?
Intel NUC BOXD34010WYK2 / Intel mSata 525 30GB / Kingston 8 GB / Intel 7260hmw
I have the new mini. I had issues playing 1080p mkv files using the mplayer osx extended, but xbmc plays it fine. xbmc probably uses about 25-35% cpu.
speedway Wrote:Hi,

I'm very interested in the results of playing 1080p mkv-files. At the moment I want to buy a new mac mini instead of my current HTPC (Quadcore Q8300 en Nvidia GPU 9400 motherboard) with the purpose of running XBMC to it. What are your general impressions of the performance of XBMC. I also noticed that they will pay attention to the new NVIDIA gpu's in the future release 9.04 => do they mean also nvidia's igpu 9400 ?

XBMC plays great with the new Mini, as it does with my 1.83 Mini. I have never seen a 1080p mkv file. Just 720p which of course plays great. Once the load is taken of the cpu for video tasks xbmc will really shine.

I use the Mini for general stuff as well as Plex/XBMC. The new Mini is really nice. Hooked it up to my Samsung HDTV and it just went to 1080p although I've since changed it to 720p ( font size issue).

philip

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Mac Mini purchase0