Playing videos off external hard drive using XBMC
Hi,

I have successfully installed XBMC on my Apple TV. Now I need help in playing my files. I've been a total idiot in this so far. Sure I'm not following a simple step or two. I am running Tiger on a Mac. All my movie files are on a 500 TB LaCie external hard drive hooked up to my Mac via USB.

Can anyone tell me what I have to do to enable my Mac to share these files with XBMC? And what should I do on the XBMC to find these files?

Please help. Scott to the rescue again?
You need to share the files via SMB
Thanks Krieg. Downloaded sharepoint and shared via smb and it works fine. One small glitch though, it's refusing to read subtitles. I have most of my subs on srt and xbmc is just not reading them. I searched through threads and realised that this is a genuine issue. Is there something I can do to enable them? Since 90% of the movies I watch are world cinema, subtitling is key.

Thanks
savyna Wrote:Thanks Krieg. Downloaded sharepoint and shared via smb and it works fine. One small glitch though, it's refusing to read subtitles. I have most of my subs on srt and xbmc is just not reading them. I searched through threads and realised that this is a genuine issue. Is there something I can do to enable them? Since 90% of the movies I watch are world cinema, subtitling is key.

Thanks

Is this a "can't read .srt subs" problem or a "can't read .srt subs from a network share" problem?
I have my ATV streaming from a NAS via SMB and the srt subtitles work correctly. The other formats are the ones that give problems (sub and idx/sub).

Check that the names are correct, that you do not have any uppercase/lowercase differences, check that the subtitles are actually activated, check that you are using a font that is installed in /Library/Fonts (I use Arial), check in the calibration the position where the subtitles should appear.
It's a 'can't read subs from a network share' problem. They all play fine on VLC on my Mac. Currently affecting about 25% of my .srt subs. Some read on the XBMC, some don't - as simple as that. All .srt files are correctly named (same as the movie file).

"Check that the names are correct, that you do not have any uppercase/lowercase differences, check that the subtitles are actually activated, check that you are using a font that is installed in /Library/Fonts (I use Arial), check in the calibration the position where the subtitles should appear."

I have followed the above to the letter. As for .idx and .sub, they don't appear at all. Any fix for this?
Activate logs and upload the log file to a pastebin service (pastebin.com / pastebin.ca)

But I find weird that it affects only some of your subtitles. You could upload the log for a working one and for one that does not work.
savyna Wrote:It's a 'can't read subs from a network share' problem. They all play fine on VLC on my Mac. Currently affecting about 25% of my .srt subs. Some read on the XBMC, some don't - as simple as that. All .srt files are correctly named (same as the movie file).

"Check that the names are correct, that you do not have any uppercase/lowercase differences, check that the subtitles are actually activated, check that you are using a font that is installed in /Library/Fonts (I use Arial), check in the calibration the position where the subtitles should appear."

I have followed the above to the letter. As for .idx and .sub, they don't appear at all. Any fix for this?

"They all play fine on VLC on my Mac." That does not really answer the questions. Do they play fine if they are on the local atv disk?
No they don't. Anyway, I've solved the .srt issue by binning the 'affected' files and re-downloading the subtitles from opensubtitles/podnapisi. That still leaves the vexed issue of .idx and .sub files for which there are no .srt files available on the web. Hope a fix is found soon.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playing videos off external hard drive using XBMC0