Storing movies all in the same directory versus individual ones?
I've always just kept them in the same directory but it's looking messy when I browse them in windows with every movie having 5 or 6 supplemental files listed with it (tbn, nfo, idx, sub, fanart, etc.).

I'm thinking about moving everything around so each movie is in it's own subfolder... but what are the cons going to be with doing that?
absolutely nothing
Do I have to rename the fanart or posters? Or can I just take all my current files like this:

Pulp Fiction (1994).avi
Pulp Fiction (1994).nfo
Pulp Fiction (1994).tbn
Pulp Fiction (1994)-fanart.jpg

And stick them in a folder called "Movies\Pulp Fiction (1994)" and as long as the main Movies folder is set as a source in XBMC it will still scan and pick up the artwork correctly? I ask because I've seen a lot of talk about having the names be "fanart.jpg" and "folder.jpg" when using folders.
no. just because you can does not mean you have to
If i read what your saying correctly you have it spot on... it should make no difference at all.

FYI now you are using one movie per folder you can name your IMDB nfo movie.nfo rather than the stacked name to make it easier.

You can also do something similar with the other files. Check the wiki for that one I dont have other files so cant speak with authority on it.
Having problems getting your TV shows recognized?

Try my extra TV show matching REGEX here
xexe Wrote:If i read what your saying correctly you have it spot on... it should make no difference at all.

FYI now you are using one movie per folder you can name your IMDB nfo movie.nfo rather than the stacked name to make it easier.

You can also do something similar with the other files. Check the wiki for that one I dont have other files so cant speak with authority on it.

I would rather just leave them all the same name, as long as it still works with XBMC. That way, if I change my mind later, I can still easily move them back without bothering with renames.

Now I just need to figure out a way to automate moving everything to folders. 1,000+ movies is going to take awhile manually.

Anyways... it definitely is going to look cleaner in explorer being in individual folders.

vs
XBMC is flexible in this regard so should you wish to keep them "as the name" it will work as before and expected. I simply point out that it is not always easy to name them the stacked named whereas its always easy to name them "movie.nfo"

So, the Atlantis version of XBMC supports movie.nfo?
no it was added later than that you would have to check trac to be certain

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Storing movies all in the same directory versus individual ones?0