screensaver dims screen even after XBMC shutdown?
hi guys,

very strange problem here...using XBMC 8.0/Atlantis with the Mediastream skin.

i left my XBMC running and shut the TV off. came back a few days later and shut XBMC down, but my pc screen stayed dim like the XBMC screensaver dimming was still on. even stranger, i restarted my pc, and shortly after i log on to windows...it dims again, even though XBMC isn't running yet! i thought for a second that it was just a really weird coincendence, but when i start XBMC again, the brightness goes back to normal, and then dims again on exit. no change if i shut off the XBMC screensaver altogether or change the dimming options.

how can i fix this? i did some searching and came up with nothing...
Same happening to me and i could not replicate to report it.

I found a shut down and restart fixed it. Specifically a reboot did not.
Having problems getting your TV shows recognized?

Try my extra TV show matching REGEX here
I have this problem also... I don't use the "dim" screensaver because of that, when I shut down XBMC with the screensaver active, the whole desktop is dimmed and I have to to go to the brightness options of the video card and change it back to normal...
If you can replicate this grab a debug log. I have tried but I cant replicate it.
Having problems getting your TV shows recognized?

Try my extra TV show matching REGEX here
Nazgulled Wrote:I have this problem also... I don't use the "dim" screensaver because of that, when I shut down XBMC with the screensaver active, the whole desktop is dimmed and I have to to go to the brightness options of the video card and change it back to normal...
Happening to me as well... Nvidia card if that can help. But there's nothing I can fix from the control panel. Only a reboot helps, apparently.
It has happened to me also with catalyst ATI drivers.

Basically to reproduce the problem you wait until the screen saver dim comes on. Turn off your HDTV. When you turn it back on, everything in Windows remains dim (xbmc, regular windows desktop, etc.)

Going to the control panel in catalyst ATI, there is a reset button. Hitting it returns the screen to normal brightness without the need to reboot.

Perhaps NVIDIA has a similar button.
NVIDIA has reset buttons but only when they actually reset something and that's not the case because in the NVIDIA control panel, the brightness is at 100% as always.

When the screen dims, this is not reported to the driver, so it seems...

I see the brightness slider at 100% and I move it to any value, as long as I change it, and the brightness is restored this way (to the value I changed it to, of course). I can't try to reproduce it and post the steps it took (and the log) because I only have access to my HTPC at weekends only, I'm at my university home at the moment...

I'm sure someone else can do it or I'll see what I can do next weekend.
strange stuff...even a shutdown wouldn't correct it...but then i opened my ATI catalyst center, and it fixed itself before i even did anything.

thanks for the tips, guys.
anyone looked into this? Shall we post a bug report?
No need to trac it anymore. jmarshall just changed the behavior of XBMC from using a gamma ramp which stays unchanged until XBMC would change it back to a normal OpenGL quad which looks like dimming.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
It's working now, I've tested it Smile

One question though, I don't know what "gamma ramp" or "opengl quad" means but, dimming the the screen is supposed to lower the power required by my TV and thus spare a few watts right? Does it work like that or it simply darkens the screen without any benefit?
It just darkens the screen by applying a black transparent quad on the screen. No power saving method is involved but a plasma might save some watts a LCD most probably not.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I see, since I own an LCD, I don't benefit at all from such a feature then. Better disable it then Tongue
Thanks jmarshall, thanks Wiso!
It's definitely good to have. I am on plasma and tonight my wife fell asleep with xbmc on... not having a screensaver is wasting energy in these cases. Luckily image retention is not a problem anymore with recent plasma screens. Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
screensaver dims screen even after XBMC shutdown?0