[BUG] Resuming from standby causes XBMC to crash
WiSo Wrote:Please test if it's still a problem with r19341.

Yes..Blush
then I'm out of ideas for now. The bug I've fixed caused an exception which could be a cause of a crash. It's still working fine for me Huh
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Works for me Smile
I tried revision 19391, and it works for me.
digital21cn Wrote:I tried revision 19391, and it works for me.

Resolved....Cool
revision 19391
Still a problem for me Sad
I don't think this problem has anything to do with hibernate/standby and resume, but the AlarmClock() function which I think it's called by the "Idle Timer" function am I correct?

You'll see that if you change the "Idle Timer Function" to "quit", "minimize", "suspend" or "hibernate", the problem still occurs. The only function where this does not occur, is "shutdown". Well, it could be actually crashing too, we just can't notice it because the computer, well, shuts down...

I submitted a trac item for this a few days ago, which I think it fits the problem better because this is clearly not just a problem in "hibernate" and "resume". I don't know the inner workings of XBMC, but maybe the problem is somewhere around AlarmClock()?

My trac item is this:
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/6325

Per my log file, it seems some sort of memory access problem...

EDIT:
I was wrong about where it was actually crashing and where it wasn't and just updated my post, just so you know...
I have set up a workaround for anyone who is interested (more by mistake than by design - I actually wanted XBMC to be restarted every time I completed a hibernation cycle). Using event ghost, set up keyboard emulation on powerdown to first send the commands {s} then {return} before sending the computer into hibernation. You can then use eventghost to autorun an application on wakeup (ie xbmc). I have had this working very well for some time now.

The reslt is pretty seamless and you have a bug free fresh run of XBMC every time you bring the computer out of standby.
I do something similar but I call XBMC.Quit instead. Mine was for two reasons, to avoid the XBMC crash upon resume and to have XBMC reinitialize audio upon restart. I have it connected via HDMI and audio wouldn't work when it did wake XBMC without crashing.

pbu50w Wrote:I have set up a workaround for anyone who is interested (more by mistake than by design - I actually wanted XBMC to be restarted every time I completed a hibernation cycle). Using event ghost, set up keyboard emulation on powerdown to first send the commands {s} then {return} before sending the computer into hibernation. You can then use eventghost to autorun an application on wakeup (ie xbmc). I have had this working very well for some time now.

The reslt is pretty seamless and you have a bug free fresh run of XBMC every time you bring the computer out of standby.
I don't like those workarounds...

For instance, yesterday I was watching something and I started to fall a sleep, so I just pressed the turn off button in the remote and the computer hibernated... Next day, I just woke it up and resumed viewing, just like that. This is the kind of user experience that media software like this should have.

This worked because I actually hibernated the computer directly from Windows functions (shortcut in a remote button like I said), so no problem here... The problem still exists if someone wants the computer to hibernate, suspend, quit or minimize using the Idle Timer...
pbu50w Wrote:Using event ghost, set up keyboard emulation on powerdown to first send the commands {s} then {return} before sending the computer into hibernation. You can then use eventghost to autorun an application on wakeup (ie xbmc). I have had this working very well for some time now.

I am trying to setup something like this, in order to automatically quit xbmc before pc enters into standby, but I cannot figure out how to work with eventghost.
pbu50w, would you courtesely post some detailed info on how to setup eventghost?
Not sure if this is mentioned in here or not, but this is my Temp Solution and it works flawlessly so..

im using EventGhost, MCE Remote and Hibernate Trigger (http://www.desimonesystems.com/suspendtrigger/index.php)

when i toggle the power down button via the MCE Remote, it Shuts down XBMC then Hibernates Windows... on resume, Hibernate trigger will automatically lanuch XBMC.

once everything is configured, everything works seamlessly.

EDIT:
just read pbu50w post, seems interesting i will give that a shot just to streamline the process and use a single app.
uchenzei Wrote:I am trying to setup something like this, in order to automatically quit xbmc before pc enters into standby, but I cannot figure out how to work with eventghost.
pbu50w, would you courtesely post some detailed info on how to setup eventghost?

What i did was look for the macro for xbmc.quit, i added the event for the power toggle on my MCE remote, then add an Action for System > Power Management > Hibernate computer (do not force applications to close.).

so now inside xbmc.quit you should have those 3 items.

not sure if the order matters, but if it does i would put the mce power toggle 1st, xbmc quit 2nd, and system hibernate 3rd.
uchenzei Wrote:I am trying to setup something like this, in order to automatically quit xbmc before pc enters into standby, but I cannot figure out how to work with eventghost.

I don't know how much detail you want and how familiar you are with eventghost. I have attached a screenshot of my config file which should hopefully point you in the right direction. I use a harmony remote which is emulating a mce remote. All remote functions emulate a keyboard shortcut which I found worked best. If you need any more help, let me know.

pbu50w Wrote:I don't know how much detail you want and how familiar you are with eventghost. I have attached a screenshot of my config file which should hopefully point you in the right direction. I use a harmony remote which is emulating a mce remote. All remote functions emulate a keyboard shortcut which I found worked best. If you need any more help, let me know.

can you attach ur config file? or possibly e-mail it to me at illmaticone(a)gmail.com

that would be great

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[BUG] Resuming from standby causes XBMC to crash0