HDMI Issue
I have the Asus p5q-em mobo and have installed ubuntu intrepid and xbmc. I can get video through vga but cannot get video through hdmi to the tv. Any suggestions? :confused2:
Latest version of ALSA.
I have searched high and low and didn't know what to do. Thanks. Ill try that now.
If I'm reading your first post correctly, then ALSA won't do you any good, as it only addresses audio - your problem is no video. Have you tried looking through your bios settings to see if you need to set something for hdmi to work?
I had a look at the manual for your mobo, and I don't see any reason why hdmi video wouldn't work. However, I did find the following caveats:

Quote:You can connect two monitors to any two of the onboard VGA, DVI-D, and HDMI ports. Note that DVI-D/HDMI dual output works in OS environment only and that during POST or BIOS setup, only DVI-D output is valid.
Quote:If you connect your display to the onboard HDMI connector, the monitor will not show and the system will beep twice while CrashFree BIOS 3 is working. Wait for a few minutes and then reboot the system. The display will show after the system restarts.

If these don't apply to you, then something else is going on. Does HDMI video work in other OS environments? If not, then either a) your hdmi cable is not plugged correctly; b) your hdmi cable needs to be replaced; or c) your motherboard hdmi port is shot.
Ah, my bad, half assed attempt at reading questions!

Yea, there's normally an option in the BIOS to enable HDMI. Also, do you see the POST screen when you're using HDMI, it is possible the TV has a crap EDID that is allowing X to specify a resolution it wont handle, leaving you with a black screen. If this is the case (i've had this with Fedora before now) then there are some Kernel boot parms you can use...
I have tried vista works perfectly and so does jaunty except for the 1080i. 1080i shows up large for some reason. I can see everything on the screen up until xbmc launches. Once that launches vga shows but hdmi cuts out.
Well I have the xbmc and Xorg.0 logs but can't figure out how to post them here. Too long to cut and paste.
Normally ppl use http://pastebin.com/ or similar service (google 'pastebin' - u'll find a bunch of links).
Here they are on pastebin.
http://pastebin.com/m1a05ae3b Xorg.0
http://pastebin.com/m1feca832 Xbmc

Thanks Volenin
Ritzie Wrote:1080i shows up large for some reason. I can see everything on the screen up until xbmc launches.

Okay, so hdmi does work, it's just not performing normally. What do you mean by large? Are you only seeing part of the desktop, or is the resolution very low (creating giant icons, etc.)?
Yes hdmi does work. In jaunty the 1080i should be a smaller font but it comes out large in xbmc. 720P seems to be ok. In intrepid it works up until xbmc launches then cuts my signal out on the tv. I'd like to focus on Intrepid though since that's what I'm running now.
I see that you're using an older revision (16164 was committed nov. 13). Have you tried compiling from SVN (at the time of writing, rev. 19199) to see if that helps? I know some folks were having issues with G45 chipsets a while back...
I do ok in linux but not to sure on how to go about compiling this.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_compi...ource_code

Actually, I'm not sure that the above has been updated in some time. Open a terminal and:

Code:
sudo apt-get update
Code:
sudo apt-get install -y localepurge subversion make g++ gcc gawk pmount libtool nasm automake cmake gperf unzip bison libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libsdl-sound1.2-dev libsdl-stretch-dev libfribidi-dev liblzo-dev libfreetype6-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libasound-dev python-sqlite libglew-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev x11proto-xinerama-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libmad0-dev libtre-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libmysqlclient-dev libpcre3-dev libdbus-1-dev libhal-dev libhal-storage-dev libjasper-dev libfontconfig-dev libbz2-dev libboost-dev libfaac-dev libenca-dev libxt-dev libxmu-dev libpng12-dev libjpeg-dev mesa-utils libcdio-dev wget zip curl build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r` xorg pm-utils

Next, follow this section from the wiki up to sudo make install. For the configure command, just use
Code:
./configure
as you're doing this on a full desktop install.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI Issue0