Jaunty Screensaver not Disabled While Watching Videos
Hi all

I'm running a fresh copy of Ubuntu 9.04 with all updates as of today (20090404) with XBMC from SVN PPA (r19085).

XBMC does not disable the ubuntu screensaver while watching videos, which is not a major problem as I can just minimize XBMC and maximize it again to get back to normal.

Has anyone else come across this issue? I have had a search of the forums but have not been able to find anything on this issue. I suspect it may be an issue with the Jaunty beta but thought I might try here first to see if anyone else has a similar issue with the new beta and XBMC.

Any help would be much appreciated as it would seem XBMC from SVN has the best VDPAU support out of all the software I've tried.

Many thanks in advance
I did a bit of searching and came up with this quick fix. I just made an executable script containing the following.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

#Disable Screensaver
gconftool-2 --set /apps/gnome-screensaver/idle_activation_enabled --type bool FALSE

#Disable PowerManager
gconftool-2 --set /apps/gnome-powermanager/idle_activation_enabled --type bool FALSE

# Start XBMC
xbmc

# Enable ScreenSaver when XBMC closes
gconftool-2 --set /apps/gnome-screensaver/idle_activation_enabled --type bool TRUE

# Enable PowerManager when XBMC closes
gconftool-2 --set /apps/gnome-powermanager/idle_activation_enabled --type bool TRUE

Then I used a custom app launcher to launch it once it. Seems to get the job done but if anyone else has a better idea, let me know.

EDIT: Added disabling gnome-powermanager to the script.
I suggest filing a bugreport on SDL or Ubuntu / Gnome. Because unfortunately this is out of our reach.

Nice to see you got a workaround atleast!

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
A bug has been filed on launchpad
Also might be good to verify it not working on another SDL based sw. ie warsow.

Should be in repo.

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Not tried that game before, looks quite cool.

I do have the same problem with free-civ which is SDL based as far as I'm aware. Doesn't bother me too much as I'm not a big gamer. Got the 360 for that.

Same thing happens when running my unmentionable virtual machine using VirtualBox though
I'm actually having the same problem on Intrepid. I have no idea why my screen is blanking out, since this is a stripped down installation, so I'm basically only running XBMC and Fluxbox. No xscreensaver, no gnome-screensaver, and no gnome-power-manager. If anyone has a quick fix I'd appreciate it.
DDM123 Wrote:If anyone has a quick fix I'd appreciate it.

Did you check here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=310189&postcount=2
Yep, I've been running that script to run xbmc, even though I have no obvious power managers/screensavers installed.
DDM123 Wrote:I'm actually having the same problem on Intrepid. I have no idea why my screen is blanking out, since this is a stripped down installation, so I'm basically only running XBMC and Fluxbox. No xscreensaver, no gnome-screensaver, and no gnome-power-manager. If anyone has a quick fix I'd appreciate it.

why dont you make a dedicated xbmc session without flux?

i have a xbmc session but i still use the script when launching xbmc through gnome.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Jaunty Screensaver not Disabled While Watching Videos0