• 3(current)
[WINDOWS] Automatic Update Client for XBMC
CrashX Wrote:Kricker:-

To avoid killing xbmc while someone is in the middle of watching a movie .. I presume that XBMC Auto Updater runs in the background and updates xbmc without any user input ..

I'm gonna give this a try, but don't think it would work, if any of the files in XBMC are locked the update would fail. unless xbmc loads EVERY SINGLE file into memory and releases the lock on the files.

I'll give it a try.

one thing i was thinking of is to skip the update if the xbmc is reported to be playing back media, i guess i could get that from evenhost or the api.

if someone could provide more info into figuring out if xbmc is playing back media it would be great.
kay.one Wrote:I'm gonna give this a try, but don't think it would work, if any of the files in XBMC are locked the update would fail. unless xbmc loads EVERY SINGLE file into memory and releases the lock on the files.

I'll give it a try.

one thing i was thinking of is to skip the update if the xbmc is reported to be playing back media, i guess i could get that from evenhost or the api.

if someone could provide more info into figuring out if xbmc is playing back media it would be great.
I was about to run a test myself.
I have a feeling this app is going to progress very quickly. (hints why I asked if it can update itself) With that said, I would think making this program have an auto update feature would be high up on the list.

I also really like the idea of it auto updating XBMC at XX time if XBMC is not playing a video.

You guys have done a great job so far and I plan on running this app on my htpc. Smile Thanks!
There are quite a few files that are locked while XBMC is running, so I don't think a "live" update is really possible.
How about this for an idea. Instead of exclusively being used for auto install how about an option for auto download and inform that an install is ready via a local RSS feed.
Having problems getting your TV shows recognized?

Try my extra TV show matching REGEX here
kay.one Wrote:I'm gonna give this a try, but don't think it would work, if any of the files in XBMC are locked the update would fail. unless xbmc loads EVERY SINGLE file into memory and releases the lock on the files.

I'll give it a try.

File is locked by OS, hence that is why you can overwrite but you can rename the locked file ... This is true for any executable that is running ..

You have to actually monitor every file from the update ( ie DLL ) and check if it has file access issue .. In that case rename it and then replace it ...
CrashX Wrote:File is locked by OS, hence that is why you can overwrite but you can rename the locked file ... This is true for any executable that is running ..

You have to actually monitor every file from the update ( ie DLL ) and check if it has file access issue .. In that case rename it and then replace it ...
There are quite a few locked files, I guess it can be done, but there are going to be a few files that need to be renamed and then replaced.
CrashX Wrote:File is locked by OS, hence that is why you can overwrite but you can rename the locked file ... This is true for any executable that is running ..

i'm not sure if i understand correctly, but if the files are locked you can't even rename them , unless i'm missing something here
Thumbs Up 
Just wanted to say Thank You for a Great Addition to XBMC!
This is totally slick. Thanks a mint!
this is so awsome - thanks a lot
kay.one Wrote:i'm not sure if i understand correctly, but if the files are locked you can't even rename them , unless i'm missing something here

Yes and No .. In most cases, OS will allow renaming of files while it is locked .. but their are some cases where you can't do that as well in that case you can add to queue in the registry to be done when the system restarts ...

See MoveFileEx for examples ...
CrashX Wrote:...to be done when the system restarts ...
Restart the system?! That would take longer then they way we do it now.
xexe Wrote:How about this for an idea. Instead of exclusively being used for auto install how about an option for auto download and inform that an install is ready via a local RSS feed.

Can i re suggest this as a short term means to help.
Having problems getting your TV shows recognized?

Try my extra TV show matching REGEX here
just moved the project to Google code, need some volunteers to start writing some sample howto guides. if you are interested please pm me with your Google user name.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Automatic Update Client for XBMC3