Continous or Background Library Updating
How can I make XBMC monitor a network folder and update the library whenever new content appears (like Boxee does)?

Currently, I exit and restart the XBMC for the library to update (by checking the update option). It would be great if XBMC did that automatically.

Please advise a noob.

[ATV 2.3, Launcher 3.0, XBMC Babylon Alpha 1]
I'm not sure if an update exactly like you're thinking is possible, however, it should be possible to get the same results by periodically checking for new content on a timed basis.

In a perfect world it would be nice for there to be a notification for XBMC that when new content is added into a folder something notifies XBMC and triggers a library update.

However, this might have a con if updating the library interferes with the functionality of XBMC. For example it might cause a skip while watching a movie, or a drop in frame rate or something similar.

Ultimately I think updating by periods of time would be best that way it doesn't run an update session for every single new file. It would update in batches instead.

In the meantime search trac for a feature suggestion and if it's not there than open up a new trac ticket for it. http://trac.xbmc.org

Additionally in the mean time it might be possible to run an update through the XBMC web interface and you can use curl to send the request and set it up as a cron job or scheduled task.
dimshev Wrote:How can I make XBMC monitor a network folder and update the library whenever new content appears (like Boxee does)?

Currently, I exit and restart the XBMC for the library to update (by checking the update option). It would be great if XBMC did that automatically.

Please advise a noob.

[ATV 2.3, Launcher 3.0, XBMC Babylon Alpha 1]

When you are in the library mode, bring up the context menu and select update library no need to exit. If you want to remove items from the library that have been deleted again bring up the context menu go to settings and then library settings and pick clean library.

Terrier
See rwparris2 response here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ipt&page=2
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Continous or Background Library Updating0