Playback of currently recording files?
Not sure if this is a feature request or a bug.

I currently record TV shows on our media server with SageTV/GBPVR/Mediaportal (haven't settled yet Rolleyes ). I know when I was using an XBOX and non-HD recordings I was able to watch shows as they were recording (eg I get home late and the show started 10 mins ago. I could start from the beginning and skip commercials until I caught up with the live show).

Seeing as how there are to major changes, XBOX -> XBMC on Windows and SD -> HD, I'm not sure which is the issue here, but I can't play files until they are done recording on our current setup. Using MPC I can play the file while still recording.

I'll be happy to provide a debug log when I get home, but wanted to post this while it was on my mind so as to not forget about it.

Is this a limitation of DVDPlayer vs. Mplayer? Is this something that can/may be changed?

Thanks to all devs for all the work put in to this project. It never ceases to amaze me the functionality offered by this FREE app.
Are the files you're trying to stream shared to XBMC over SMB? My understanding is that XBMC for Windows now uses the native Windows SMB libraries rather than internal (Samba-based?) libraries on Xbox. That's just a guess, but it may be worth trying to share your files using a different protocol (NFS, uPNP?).
They are indeed mapped samba shares. If XBMC is using the Windows libraries for samba, shouldn't this affect other windows applications as well?

I'll try and remember to post a debug log tonight. I got distracted by a failed XBMC/Mediaportal install last night on another system Smile
Ok, sorry to dredge this back up, but I finally remembered to get a debug log together. This is really the only thing holding me back from an XBMC exclusive system in one room.

Right now I switch to MediaPortal when we want to watch a currently recording show.

Hopefully this log helps.

http://pastebin.com/f79c4df45
Any thoughts? Is this something that should be trac'd or is it working as intended?
iirc ffmpeg doesn't support a "noseek" flag for file based playback (which dvdpayer uses) - so this will not work. It does for stream based playback but not file based.

I think this should work on the Xbox as it uses mplayer (or did last time i played with in on a xbox).
Exactly. I was so used to being able to do this on the Xbox system we used that I was quite disappointed when I moved to a shiny new HTPC and I lost functionality.

If that's true, I'll probably just stick with MediaPortal for the one room in question for now.

Although, I'm pretty sure I'm using ffdshow as the codec for MediaPortal. Isn't that based on ffmpeg as well?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playback of currently recording files?0