VDPAU FAQ... is there any?
Question 
Hi,

I've been following the VDPAU development somewhat, but not too closely. Have tried to go through the dev-t thread to get some answers, but it's just too long to collect this kind of info... For instance, I'm trying to figure out right now the following:
  • does VDPAU get activated only for HD content or not?
  • Is it enabled by default? (looks like it's not anymore from what I've seen)
  • what are the configuration settings that should/must be used? (I've seen some people reference 'noise cleanup' params in x.org file, etc)
  • how can one see if VDPAU is working (ie, video is being accelerated by VDPAU - again, I've seen it mentioned somewhere that it's part of the OCD 'play' info now, but haven't seen it on my build...)
  • what are the limitations
I'll take a stab at some of them.

* does VDPAU get activated only for HD content or not?
It only gets used for supported codecs (x264, etc)... not necessarily limited to HD.
* Is it enabled by default? (looks like it's not anymore from what I've seen)
No, not in the main branch. Has to be selected.
* how can one see if VDPAU is working (ie, video is being accelerated by VDPAU - again, I've seen it mentioned somewhere that it's part of the OCD 'play' info now, but haven't seen it on my build...)
Need to hit the info command while playing a movie (might be I on the keyboard, I forget as it's just mapped to a button on my remote, check the manual) You should see _vdpau (dont' remember the exact string but it looks something like ff_h264_vdpau) up there... also CPU usage should be very low compared to what you're use to (without vdpau).
* what are the limitations
This is a pretty open ended question imo.

Feel free to override my answers... most are just from using vdpau myself.
return null;
volenin Wrote:Hi,

I've been following the VDPAU development somewhat, but not too closely. Have tried to go through the dev-t thread to get some answers, but it's just too long to collect this kind of info... For instance, I'm trying to figure out right now the following:
  • does VDPAU get activated only for HD content or not?
  • Is it enabled by default? (looks like it's not anymore from what I've seen)
  • what are the configuration settings that should/must be used? (I've seen some people reference 'noise cleanup' params in x.org file, etc)
  • how can one see if VDPAU is working (ie, video is being accelerated by VDPAU - again, I've seen it mentioned somewhere that it's part of the OCD 'play' info now, but haven't seen it on my build...)
  • what are the limitations

1. No. It's used for any MPEG 2/4, h.264, VC-1 content regardless of resolusion.
2. Yes.
3. VDPAU configuration is going to be handled by the application, not xorg.conf (I think). You can set renderer options in XBMC but I don't see any reason to deviate from the defaults.
4. Press "o" during playback.
5. What do you mean?
Pressing "o" on my keyboard while a video is playing causes a seg fault.

Is this a known issue or should I report a bug?
Django Bespoke Business Software, Sydney Australia
Yea, please follow the sticky on this forum to find the info to include in a helpful report.
Ideal place for the FAQ would be the wiki, appreciate the effort.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Mine isnt activated by default. Have to choose VDPAU in render. Not auto.

/Söder
Vero 4K with unRAID server and mysql (mariadb)
Another Q for the FAQ:

Do all types of subtitle files work correctly with VDPAU enabled?

thanks
Just a thought but maybe add some of this info to a wiki page on the site?

we could then add a "cards that work" section and list known issues with cards/vendors.
carvegio Wrote:Another Q for the FAQ:

Do all types of subtitle files work correctly with VDPAU enabled?

thanks

For me embeddes subs and .ass dont work.

/Söder
Vero 4K with unRAID server and mysql (mariadb)
VDPAU is currently a moving target. Things change with each driver release and commit, so an official FAQ at this point would just be confusing.

The documentation will be updated as soon as things settle. If it hasn't calmed by Babylon release, we'll be sure to include some faq's in the release notes.

TheUni
Thanks for all replies. I can volunteer to create a wiki page for that to capture all the responses (so that it's easier/less effort in the future to add/update the info - the first step is the hardest one Smile ).
The best place to find "supported cards" is in the README included with the nvidia driver. There's no point in us keeping a separate out of date, incomplete and half-assed copy on our site.
how can i do with an ati 9600 card?
darkham Wrote:how can i do with an ati 9600 card?

in no way

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VDPAU FAQ... is there any?0