Warning!--complete noob question
Hi

I'm sure you are tired of noob questions but i have had a good look and cant find an answer.

I have an HTPC with Nvidia 8500 graphics. I want to use XBMC linux version and was wondering what version of Ubuntu I should install so i can take advantage of the hardware acceleration of XBMC

thanks
FAQ
I think that with Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty), you should already get VDPAU-enabled drivers, and after installing the very latest XBMC from the repos, it should work just about out of the box.
I guess in other words, VDPAU is not a function of Ubuntu version, but rather the function of nVidia drivers you install. I think Ubunutu 8.04 upwards should work. I believe most of the dev-t of Linux branch is done under 8.04. I recall you do need to install nVidia 185.x (currently beta) drivers for all functionality to work (though the latest stable release 180.smth) should also work, with some limitations (or bugs? - not very sure). Check the 'VDPAU' thread (the looooong one - appears on the front page ones in a while) for more details.......

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Warning!--complete noob question0