XBMC - Ubuntu - SVN
So I'v been running xbmc for almost a year now. I have been on the same stable version since first install. Everything was working great till i decided to go and screw with things.

I've been searching for plugins and scripts and found a few plugins I wanted to add. So I go and google how to install plugin and everything i find just tells me to "add source" and then "add plugin". That option wasnt there for me and I saw someone said to be on the latest svn build. So i changed my resporities and went to update manager and updated. It installed about 20 things.

So when i open xbmc now the screen flashes black for a second and then goes back to the desktop. No xbmc Sad I saw that the nvidia 180 drivers were required, but I could not find them to install or tell if they are installed. I am running on Hardy Heron.

please help
thanks
dm
You can open the restricted drivers application to see what ones are installed, it's in one of the menus, cant remember which one.

if you have nvidia drivers installed remove them using the package manager.

goto nvidia.com and download the latest linux drivers.
ok found my nvidia drivers i'm on 169.12 but i'm not exactly sure on what to uninstall from synaptic. I did a search for nvidia and it show i have installed:
evny - what i used to install the driver
jockey-common & jockey-gtk
linux-restricted-modules 2.6.22-15, -19, -22, -23
nvidia-glx-new
nvidia-kernel-2.6.22-14, -15
nvidia-kernel-common
nvidia-new-kernel-source
nvidia-settings
smartdimmer
xserver-xorg0video-nv

thanks
dm
nvidia-glx-new

i think. or since you have a list just remove all the nvidia ones. (make sure you download the one from teh webiste 1st.

then just kill X and install. I think you need to install dkms as well for the drivers to work.
from nvidia.com the drivers offered from download on my GeForce FX 5200 is 173.14.18

thanks
dm
I'd install them then, I believe that the 180 is in regards to VDPAU which only the 8 series and newer support. So those ones should be fine.
Cool, got it back working. I've have been trying to figure out what folder to put the plugins in. On the wiki it says ~/.xbmc/plugins/video/ but i'm not sure where that is.

thanks
dm
dmiller40 Wrote:Cool, got it back working. I've have been trying to figure out what folder to put the plugins in. On the wiki it says ~/.xbmc/plugins/video/ but i'm not sure where that is.

thanks
dm

~ refers to your home directory. So, assuming your username is dm, then the full path is /home/dm/.xbmc/plugins/video. Now, if you're navigating through say, nautilus, by default any file/folder that starts with a dot is hidden. Ctrl + H to show them.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC - Ubuntu - SVN0