Home Network Setup?
We just bought a house, and I'm trying to figure out how I want to network everything. I would love to have ethernet ports in all the rooms, but I think it's a little bit too much for me. Wink

I have my desktop, which has all of my videos on it. I have my HTPC in the living room, hooked up to the TV. I have a crappy Wireless-G router (the Linksys WRT54G -- one of the newer ones with little memory), but I'm looking at upgrading to N. If I had an N router and N wireless adapters (except for my laptop's G), would I be able to:
  • stream from my desktop to my HTPC,
  • download things to my desktop (like...Ubuntu torrents), and
  • surf the web on my laptop

at the same time? I know that an N router should be able to do that, but I'd hate to assume it and end up having to reset it a lot.

The main question I have is about software, though -- I'm sure a lot of you have a similar setup. How do you mount the networked media on your HTPC? Should I use something like sshfs, or is there a better option?

Thanks a ton!
The results you would get from wireless depend on many variables that are hard to control and account for unless testing is done in the environment. For the most part, N should definitely allow you to stream HD stuff as that's what a lot of the marketing is targeted at.

I don't use it though so my experience of streaming over N is nil.
Well, I can't help with the wireless, but I'm using sshfs, and it works nice, for me it's lighter than NFS both to setup and run, and permissions are not at problem. I had to tweak it for speed, changing the ssh encyption to blowfish (6x gain in my system).
Ubuntu 9.10 - XBMC 9.11 Beta
arosequi Wrote:The main question I have is about software, though -- I'm sure a lot of you have a similar setup. How do you mount the networked media on your HTPC? Should I use something like sshfs, or is there a better option?

As for the wireless setup: as said - it depends. If you're in luck it will work, but since you didn't mention anything about the house you bought (how many floors, type of walls/concrete,...), it's nearly impossible to answer that question. In theory it should be enough to stream hd content, but practically you have to keep up up to 40mbit constantly and that's raw data thoughput, not what the n-draft claims to be able.

as for me, i have a gigabit ethernet cable connecting my main pc and the htpc - works like a charm, but you guessed that. probably you might be better off with a powerline setup if you don't want the good ol' ethernet.

I'm sharing my files with nfs and autofs which is pretty transparent in use and low in ressources. also it's way faster than sshfs by default.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Home Network Setup?0