TV Tuner Support
Is there any plans to add TV Tuner card support for the windows version of XBMC?

I have just installed XBMC on vista home premium and i am extremely impressed - the only sad thing is that it doesn't have support for a tuner Sad

This would certainly make this media center the best IMHO.

Cheers,
Felix
this has been discussed... you should always search before you post.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Livin Wrote:this has been discussed... you should always search before you post.

I have searched and found no absolute answer from the developers - have you seen one?
You can use some PVR software like GB-PVR. My HTPC is based on this combination.
My HTPC: http://hobring.esero.net/htpc.htm
Based on XP SP3
XBMC & GB-PVR for recordings

My projects:
MCE standby tool addon
SAF - HTPC codec pack
I don't think that he was looking for another app but for antive support for pvr within XBMC. And no there is no such support, think there are some tests going on in the linux version though.
no.

and there won't ever be native support for anything in xbmc. we are a frontend. we don't want to replicate the work of tons of others of apps (not to mention, try to get the cross platform support going). no, we will ALWAYS rely on other apps in this area.
for what its worth.. i certainly agree... would be nice to be able to use xbmc as a replacement for windows media center (which is crap - but does support tv).

is it not possible to use an existing app and just access it from within xbmc?
Much as spiff said, xbmc is doing the frontend thing. A great deal of development is being put into making it, hopefully, relatively simple to connect xbmc to a dedicated tuner. At present, this mostly means myth-tv on linux, but eventually, hopefully, it should work with MCE and the MediaPortal tv-server.
ptalindstrom Wrote:for what its worth.. i certainly agree... would be nice to be able to use xbmc as a replacement for windows media center (which is crap - but does support tv).

is it not possible to use an existing app and just access it from within xbmc?

Personally I use XBMC almost exclusively to watch TV both live and recorded, and I do this by having mythTV backend installed (I have it on another PC and server but nothing says you can't have the backend on the HTPC) and play everything smoothly with XBMC.

So as spiff says, solong you have the given help backend (mythTV for linux, TVServer from team-mediaportal will work at some point) XBMC will hopefully in the future be able to play from it.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
topfs2 Wrote:Personally I use XBMC almost exclusively to watch TV both live and recorded, and I do this by having mythTV backend installed (I have it on another PC and server but nothing says you can't have the backend on the HTPC) and play everything smoothly with XBMC.

Could you please explain more exactly how you do this?
Yeah, I think this feature is really the only major lacking feature that many seem to want. We need a fairly slick, polished LiveTV solution for both Live and Windows IMO.

I can understand developers issues regarding native live TV support over multiple OS etc, but i wish the issues of connecting a Live TV portion was considered a priority. I see it mentioned so many times on various forums, and i have searched over most of the posts i could find on this topic, but they tend to trail-off without much of a solution or intention as to progress, many links from the wiki are over 12months old on the subject.

But i would certainly be interested in knowing the current state of the TV-Server integration with xbmc on windows, as I'm sure many others would. It's likely the best and most likely solution to bare fruits of development, is the xbmc plugin api workable, complete usable? Where can i find more info?

I wish that Media Portal developers would concentrate on TV-Server and abandon MP, it was great but xbmc is already more complete and stable mediacenter as well as cross platform, but the lack of LiveTV means none are the perfect solution.

How far away from having TV-Server integration as a polished part of my windows xbmc experience are we exactly?
Cant agree with you more. TV-Server is the most likely tv-streamer in my opinion too.
But I read that they do have some problems running on whs - which is the place (if you ask me) to install that kind of software. But I also understand that team xbmc also like the myth-tv solution since they seem to have the linux branch as the main branch. But as they now have both opengl and directx lines I do not see any problems in going for both mythtv and tvserver support.

/needtotest
I'd like to bump this thread and throw in my vote for TV tuner support. This really should be a critical priority, especially in the face of competition from Media Portal and MCE, which are constantly improving as time marches on. If this feature is "really hard", then maybe the unthinkable could become thinkable, and the XBMC devs could form an alliance with Team MediaPortal to add support for MediaPortal's TV-Server. (Windows only though.) Just a thought.
Hello, i was searching about the same and i think this will help http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=MythTV

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TV Tuner Support0