XBMC as multicast streaming client with vlc?
Lightbulb 
Hi all!

First of all, I like to say, that XBMC is by far one of the best open source projects. I was playing with it for a while now on Linux, Mac and Windows and do have a request.

In case, these questions have been answered already somewhere else in the forum, please point me to the right thread.

What I need to achieve with either Linux or Windows is:

1. Define several multicast streams in XBMC, which are available in my network - e.g.

a) udp://@224.1.1.1:30000
b) udp://@224.1.1.2:30010
c) udp://@224.1.1.3:30020

2. Play those streams without any delay and buffering just like VLC does

3. Switch between these streams without delay

Did anyone implement streaming already in XBMC with VLC?

I understand, that XBMC implemented lot of functionality from great mplayer, but in matter of streaming client for rtsp etc. VLC is simply outstanding.

The goal should be, to manage streams just like we can manage music files in XBMC - browse, switch, play etc.

Would anyone of the developers be able/willing to assist or talk about such a project add-on to be achieved?

What would be necessary, to get this functionality done?

I greatly appreciate any tips, hint and suggestions.

Thx
Ndee
Yes this would also be a nice feature to have

as far as i can tell no XBMC player currently support multicast or event RTP streams so multiroom audio/video is not perfect

any suggestions
Andy

As I'm sure you're aware, a hackish solution for faster switching has been posted here.

Please let us know if you come up with a more elegant patch, exclusive to udp.

TheUni
Question 
theuni Wrote:Andy

As I'm sure you're aware, a hackish solution for faster switching has been posted here.

Please let us know if you come up with a more elegant patch, exclusive to udp.

TheUni

me thinks you have posted this in the wrong thread, if not can u elaborate more
This should already work - certainly used to.

Create a strm file with the udp multicast group and port udp://@239.100.200.100:1234

that should work
well tried this, had never actually tried the normal command myself (doh)

but no joy, it loads it (well as far as i can tell) but nothing happens.
(2009-09-21, 12:39)prae5 Wrote: This should already work - certainly used to.

Create a strm file with the udp multicast group and port udp://@239.100.200.100:1234

that should work

hi, this is going back a while now. do you know how we can multicast stream using xbmc and control each device individually or collectively?

Are you interested in writing a plugin for us?

Thanks in advance :-)

Sorna
STRM (wiki)
(2009-04-19, 23:23)ndee703 Wrote: Hi all!

First of all, I like to say, that XBMC is by far one of the best open source projects. I was playing with it for a while now on Linux, Mac and Windows and do have a request.

In case, these questions have been answered already somewhere else in the forum, please point me to the right thread.

What I need to achieve with either Linux or Windows is:

1. Define several multicast streams in XBMC, which are available in my network - e.g.

a) udp://@224.1.1.1:30000
b) udp://@224.1.1.2:30010
c) udp://@224.1.1.3:30020

2. Play those streams without any delay and buffering just like VLC does

3. Switch between these streams without delay

Did anyone implement streaming already in XBMC with VLC?

I understand, that XBMC implemented lot of functionality from great mplayer, but in matter of streaming client for rtsp etc. VLC is simply outstanding.

The goal should be, to manage streams just like we can manage music files in XBMC - browse, switch, play etc.

Would anyone of the developers be able/willing to assist or talk about such a project add-on to be achieved?

What would be necessary, to get this functionality done?

I greatly appreciate any tips, hint and suggestions.

Thx
Ndee

Hi Ndee, what was the outcome for this? can we implement multicast using VLC and control the output on any machine?

Thanks Ned,

i'm using an android tablet.

i created a few files with extensions .m3u, .pls, .strm to see which one would work.

Can't seem to find them when i browse for music files on xbmc. Am i missing something?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC as multicast streaming client with vlc?0