VDPAU on Mac Hardware?
Can I take advantage of VDPAU with old Mac hardware? I have an old Quicksilver G4 PowerMac with AGP graphics. Are there cheap video cards compatible with the Mac (running some kind of PPC Linux) and VDPAU? Thanks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDPAU

hope this helps and sorry to disappoint you Smile
Yes, I've seen that page before, but I don't see where it mentions Apple hardware. Macs can run FreeBSD and PPC Linux.
You read it? So you found an AGP GeForce 8 for your ancient mac? I didn't realize they were available in AGP.

Unfortunately, even though you managed to get an imaginary AGP GeForce 8, there is currently no PPC port of XBMC. Some developers were supposedly working on it awhile back, but I don't believe it actually went anywhere.
XBMC will compile and run on PPC, however as mentioned that hardware doesn't have and nVIDIA 8xxx/9xxx card, nor would the VDPAU modules run on PPC.
rodalpho Wrote:You read it? So you found an AGP GeForce 8 for your ancient mac? I didn't realize they were available in AGP...

I guess that is your way to tell me that they don't make an AGP GeForce 8 for my ancient Mac. Thank you for that valuable information. It answers my question.

motd2k Wrote:XBMC will compile and run on PPC, however as mentioned that hardware doesn't have and nVIDIA 8xxx/9xxx card, nor would the VDPAU modules run on PPC.

Thank you for your very informative and especially patient reply to my question. You displayed the friendliest demeanor I have ever come across on this site. I know how frustrating it can be for you power users to have to relate to us newbies. Thanks again for your patience.
you can always run XBMC for Mac, there's a working PPC build. The plan is to have a dmg on sf. Turning right now for 9.04.beta1
Thanks for the suggestion. Right now, I have three TVs connected to media centers,XBMC on an Xbox, XBMC on an ATV, and Plex on a MacBook. Only that last one can robustly play HD content. I was hoping that a $50 video card might get me HD on a second TV. Apparently, it turns out that it wont.

Oh, BTW, davilla, thanks again for the Launcher. I'm loving it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VDPAU on Mac Hardware?0