Thinking about buying Apple TV
tuckbodi Wrote:Which skin are you using and how many files are in your video library? The combination of these two, using one of the "snazzier" skins and a huge library, really seem to bog my ATV down. It's just not smooth in transitions.

And then of course there's the limit on playing some of the big higher def movies (i.e. 1080p), of which I don't have too much right now, but I can see that being a future limiting thing. I just wish the ATV just had a little more ooomph..

I do agree with you on the having to mess around a little more on the mini (entertainment+work). You switch to the ATV and it's ready to go while with the mini I have to get the keyboard, etc. Good analogy!

To be fair, the Apple remote will start XBMC or Plex or Front Row so you don't really need the wireless keyboard.The reality is that you do or at least have VNC or some remote app on an iPod or whatever.

I have a very large collection of files and use the standard skin. There is also a Basic skin which is very responsive. I do find streaming from my Mini over iTunes to be a bit more responsive. That's probably a remote issue.

I can't be objective about 1080p. For 99% of people it is a non-issue.

At some point the ATV will have more powerful hardware. For now it is more than enough. I'd rather silence and lower power consumption than overkill. I do understand your point though. The ATV is on the border, but don't forget we are getting a lot of enjoyment from it now. I've had mine a few months and don't regret it for a minute, and I am an avid Mini fan!

Philip

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thinking about buying Apple TV0