whats the best way to set up itunes/iphoto library over network?
I am setting up my desktop G5 as a media server to store all my movies, tv shows, iphoto pictures, itunes music.

I have the movies and tv shows all set up via SMB shares. But how would I go about sharing my itunes library and my iphoto library as well without having to copy every picture and music file into a seperate folder? That would be a major waste of space and I would have double files for music and pictures.

If somebody knows a great way to share itunes/iphoto over the network to my AppleTV please post your method here.
Share your itunes and iphoto file locations via smb as well?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Personally, I share my iTunes music with my Mac and XBOX via SMB. iPhoto organises your photos into a proprietry directory structure that's not great for accessing via anything other than iPhoto itself, so I manually export full-size images each month to another SMB share. This allows me to access my photos on XBMC and acts as a back-up too.
i tried sharing my "iTunes Music" folder but then I cannot use "Library View" only File view, which is sort of messy and ugly.

Looks like I might have to copy manually over my music over and share that folder instead. Meaning having doubles of everything. Sad
Scan your shared iTunes music into XBMC and use it's library - it's far nicer.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

If i mount my iTunes Library folder via SMB and added as a source under music, and run a scan... will it put any extra files into my 'iTunes Library' folder? That is what I am afraid of.

Also will it play podcasts and mp4, aac files for audio?
It won't touch your files, or add anything to your folders.

And yes, it'll play anything without DRM in it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
whats the best way to set up itunes/iphoto library over network?0