Adding my own menu item
I already posted this question, and found that I could re-name an existing string... however, since then I have "gotten smarterNod" and I now see that it was not the correct way to go about it...

What I would like to do is this:
I have a number of child-programmes recorded from my television set - these I would like to be able to display in their own menu on the "menu band" - then name I am after is something like "Children". I would like the look and feel to be similar to "TV shows" if possible.

So far I have:
Added a new entry to Includes_MainMenu.xml based upon a copy of TV shows - and made an ID to make it "translatable" using Strings.xml.

When I launch I get my new menu - but since it is a copy all content is TV shows - I really would like it to be the content of my "Children" folder...

Anyone got any suggesitons or hints - is this possible - at all?
Hi

How do you rename an existing menu item ?.Also do you know if you can change the locations of the menu items too ?.

Sorry for the hijack Shocked
mug2k Wrote:Hi

How do you rename an existing menu item ?.Also do you know if you can change the locations of the menu items too ?.

Sorry for the hijack Shocked

Go to"Language" under Aeon skin - find the appropriate language - just edit the name - eg. you can change "Games" to "Whatever" - not sure though that this is the correct way - hence this post...
tjep Wrote:I already posted this question, and found that I could re-name an existing string... however, since then I have "gotten smarterNod" and I now see that it was not the correct way to go about it...

What I would like to do is this:
I have a number of child-programmes recorded from my television set - these I would like to be able to display in their own menu on the "menu band" - then name I am after is something like "Children". I would like the look and feel to be similar to "TV shows" if possible.

So far I have:
Added a new entry to Includes_MainMenu.xml based upon a copy of TV shows - and made an ID to make it "translatable" using Strings.xml.

When I launch I get my new menu - but since it is a copy all content is TV shows - I really would like it to be the content of my "Children" folder...

Anyone got any suggesitons or hints - is this possible - at all?

You can try adding this line under your Children's entry
<onclick>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyVideoFiles,path to Children's folder)</onclick>

Also, you should make sure you've also added a "Children" entry under the virtual menu section of the Includes_MainMenu.xml or it might throw off the layout when you display the Children's section.
ecazi Wrote:You can try adding this line under your Children's entry
<onclick>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyVideoFiles,path to Children's folder)</onclick>

Also, you should make sure you've also added a "Children" entry under the virtual menu section of the Includes_MainMenu.xml or it might throw off the layout when you display the Children's section.

That sort of did the trick - however, whenever I try and navigate back from "Children" to the main menu band I am left with browsing through the path that I have added for the direct link to my "Children" videos... any thoughts on how to avoid this?

Along the same lines - I really would also like to be able to use custom backdrops for just this new menu item - and not share it with TV shows...?
Try adding a return and see if that helps

Code:
<onclick>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyVideoFiles,path to Children's folder,return)</onclick>

As for the backdrops, I'm limited because I'm at work and don't have xbmc installed but maybe someone else can help.
Thanks again for the tip- I now have an <onclick> that looks like this:

PHP Code:
<item id="28">
                <
description>Children</description>
                <
label>31028</label>
                <
onclick>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyVideoLibrary,/Users/XX/Movies/Children, return)</onclick>

</
item

- however still no luck in getting directly back to the menu...

On the whole - backdrop topic, I have:
- Added an entry to the Vitual Menu entry

Added below entries to Includes_Backgrounds.xml
PHP Code:
<control type="multiimage">
            <include>
Background_SingleImage</include>
            <
imagepath>backdrops/default_children</imagepath>
            <
info>Skin.String(CustomChildren)</info>
            <
visible>Container(300).HasFocus(7) + Control.IsVisible(300)</visible>
            <
visible>!Skin.String(CustomChildren)</visible>
        </
control>

<
control type="multiimage">
            <include>
Background_ImageFolder</include>
            <
info>Skin.String(CustomChildrenFolder)</info>
            <
visible>Container(300).HasFocus(8) + Control.IsVisible(300)</visible>
            <
visible>Skin.String(CustomChildrenFolder)</visible>
        </
control

Added to custom2_AeonCustomisation:
PHP Code:
<onclick>Skin.Reset(CustomChildren)</onclick>
<
onclick>Skin.Reset(CustomChildrenFolder)</onclick

However, so far I am having no luck in getting a custom backdrop to Children... any help from anyone. Am I looking in the right direction?

- When/if I suceed I will write a how-to describing the solution - I can see others have struggled with this before...
I think I figured out the return issue. I have added a "TV Series" Menu to my Main Menu using this code.

In "Includes_Main_Menu.xml" you will find three different categories for the "item id"'s:

(A) <include name="MainMenu">
(B) <include name="VirtualMainMenu">
© <include name="VirtualMainMenuOptions">

I have added the following strings for these categories:

** Remember to change the "\\XX\Media\TV Series" to the directory you wish to use.

Paste into category (A)

<item id="28">
<description>TV Series</description>
<label>33001</label>
<onclick>Skin.SetBool(videotv)</onclick>
<onclick>Skin.Reset(videomovies)</onclick>
<onclick>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyVideoLibrary,\\XX\Media\TV Series)</onclick>
<visible>!Skin.HasSetting(notvshows)</visible>
</item>

Paste into category (B)

<item id="28">
<label>33001</label>
<onclick>Skin.SetString(customsingle,CustomTV)</onclick>
<onclick>Skin.SetString(customslideshow,\\XX\Media\TV Series)</onclick>
<onclick>SetFocus(92)</onclick>
</item>

Paste into category ©
<item id="28">
<label>31014</label>
<onclick>Skin.SetBool(notvshows)</onclick>
</item>
<item id="28">
<label2>31014</label2>
<onclick>Skin.Reset(notvshows)</onclick>
<visible>Skin.HasSetting(notvshows)</visible>
</item>

This set up should return you to the main menu, however... I am unable to get a full context menu in the newly created menu category. I am unable to scan for new content because it's not in my context menu options. I don't if something is entered incorrectly in the code, or if I am missing a string altogether.

I hope this helps you out, and if anyone knows how to fix the context menu problem, please post to let us know. Thanks.
This is great work! Thanks for your effort - I will test this as soon as I get home...
I am interested in this too.
ﻪﻥﻋﺸﻷﻜﻈﭚ
Just wanted to give a small update - I hve not yet been able to test this due to "busy-ness" - it is not forgotten!!
I've registered with the site just so I could post here to show my support. Quite frankly, I think it's a great idea.

I built a small, but efficient computer that sits next to my bed that is hooked to a 22" lcd that's mounted on the wall in such a way that it's perfect for viewing while sitting or laying on the bed. I was planning on using vanilla XBMC on it, but came across Aeon and was stunned, as it made the idea that I had that much richer (pimp :-P).

I figure I'll never use the "music" or "pictures" option on the menu bar, but I never saw any built-in options to change them to something of my choice. I understand the creators wanting to work with a set idea, but honestly I have no use for music next to my bed coming from those teeny-tiny lcd speakers.

If you can figure out a way to mod/change menu items to custom categories, that would be swell. I'd love to have the ability to sync up my cartoons, anime, movies and tv shows to their own menu bar spots just because I would personally find that more aesthetically pleasing.

BUT! That's just me. I realize I'm in a minority here, but again... I just wanted to show my support for the idea and the fact that someone is taking action to do something like this. (I can't code at all, so I'm totally relying on someone else's work. I'll totally cheer you on, though!)
I have been looking at doing something similar but I was trying to change the submenu mod. Essentially this would allow you to on TV Shows up or down arrow to sub menu and then have Kids, Documentary, Travel (categories I want). My goal was to have it then pop into either library view or file view depending on the content.

Submenu Mod:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...hlight=Mod

Thread on how to mod to change submenu items
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...sic+videos

I still have not gotten it completely figured out as I have not had much time. Having a good example file that works to compare to my original files would be a big help, if someone on this thread takes a shot at this.
I would like to hear how this turns out, because I download a lot of movie trailers and I would like a seprate area for them all. This would work perfectly.
JudoSquash Wrote:I think I figured out the return issue. I have added a "TV Series" Menu to my Main Menu using this code.

In "Includes_Main_Menu.xml" you will find three different categories for the "item id"'s:

(A) <include name="MainMenu">
(B) <include name="VirtualMainMenu">
© <include name="VirtualMainMenuOptions">

I have added the following strings for these categories:

** Remember to change the "\\XX\Media\TV Series" to the directory you wish to use.

Paste into category (A)

<item id="28">
<label>33001</label>
<onclick>Skin.SetBool(videotv)</onclick>
<onclick>Skin.Reset(videomovies)</onclick>
<onclick>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyVideoLibrary,\\XX\Media\TV Series)</onclick>
</item>

Paste into category (B)

<item id="28">
<label>33001</label>
<onclick>Skin.SetString(customsingle,CustomTV)</onclick>
<onclick>Skin.SetString(customslideshow,\\XX\Media\TV Series)</onclick>
<onclick>SetFocus(92)</onclick>
</item>

Paste into category ©
<item id="28">
<label>31014</label>
<onclick>Skin.SetBool(notvshows)</onclick>
</item>
<item id="28">
<label2>31014</label2>
<onclick>Skin.Reset(notvshows)</onclick>
<visible>Skin.HasSetting(notvshows)</visible>
</item>

This set up should return you to the main menu, however... I am unable to get a full context menu in the newly created menu category. I am unable to scan for new content because it's not in my context menu options. I don't if something is entered incorrectly in the code, or if I am missing a string altogether.

I hope this helps you out, and if anyone knows how to fix the context menu problem, please post to let us know. Thanks.

Thanks for this. Would you be able to describe what each of those three sections means?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Adding my own menu item0