Adding my own menu item
hmm I am looking at doing something similiar and just posted about it. any progress on this and getting it to work?
Quote:I would like to hear how this turns out, because I download a lot of movie trailers and I would like a separate area for them all. This would work perfectly.

I'm on the same boat I was able to add the custom menu and all works great, having issue returning back to the main menu.

even the movie poster works when I pause the trailer, am using xlarge poster instead of large..

BTW.. to use custom backdrops, I use one of the already menu items under customization and just change the name and what it does under <onclick> I use Programs/Games because i dont use that , you can use Assistant I doubt you use that, and just setup the backdrops through aeon->settings->customization...

It would be great to adjust the buffering size I'm using 480p and sometimes it get stuck..
clearArt Concept
cdArt Concept

*If like, thank user
reaven Wrote:I'm on the same boat I was able to add the custom menu and all works great, having issue returning back to the main menu.

even the movie poster works when I pause the trailer, am using xlarge poster instead of large..

BTW.. to use custom backdrops, I use one of the already menu items under customization and just change the name and what it does under <onclick> I use Programs/Games because i dont use that , you can use Assistant I doubt you use that, and just setup the backdrops through aeon->settings->customization...

It would be great to adjust the buffering size I'm using 480p and sometimes it get stuck..

wow.. this is what I want to add to be able to put my kids videos.. let me know when you figure out how to return to the main menu. I would like to implement this however I do not know how to program/code at all. (Im a dummy and newbie)

Thanks
reaven Wrote:I'm on the same boat I was able to add the custom menu and all works great, having issue returning back to the main menu.

Can you give us an example of what you mean about the custom backdrop Reaven? I didn't quite understand your explanation :|
Quote:Can you give us an example of what you mean about the custom backdrop Reaven? I didn't quite understand your explanation :|

If you go to Customize in Aeon where you select the backdrop you see all the menu items available in Aeon home screen I select one that I know I will not use like programs/games/Assistant ect... that way you select the backdrop single or multi-image.

the other part is in the include_main_menu.xml find the code related to the menu you select in Customize(programs/games/Assistant ect...)replace the code there with the path to your plugin/program or whatever you want
Code:
<onclick>XBMC.ActivateWindow(path to your plugin/program,ect...)</onclick>

*you need to know the path to your plugin program... the best way is look for the plugin, program and add it to favorites then look in favorites.xml under /userdata to see the path to the program..

*the tip of adding to favorite is in this thread..

I can give you the code of the trailer one if you want to ..
this is the only code I replace, I left everything else the same
Code:
<item id="2">
                <label>31011</label>
                <onclick>XBMC.ActivateWindow(10024,plugin://video/Apple Movie Trailers Lite/)</onclick>
                <texture></texture>
                <visible></visible>
            </item>

the labels is in the language strings.xml
sample I replace 31011 to Trailers...and thats it.

sorry am not so good explaining...No
clearArt Concept
cdArt Concept

*If like, thank user
I am getting confused with all the code! Huh I followed these steps: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=325746&postcount=8
Changed the ID codes and added them into strings.xml. When I start XBMC I get a blank screen with a blank menu band.

I would like to add a new item on my main menu: trailers.
I add trailers to my favorites, so I know the "code"
Code:
<favourite name="AppleMovieTrailers" thumb="special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/Programs/a2e56d1b.tbn">RunScript(special://home/scripts/AppleMovieTrailers/default.py)</favourite>
But how do I create a new addition in the menu!?

There are three sections: <include name="MainMenu">, <include name="VirtualMainMenu"> and <include name="VirtualMainMenuOptions">. Seen in the post I linked to.

Each entry contains an id (which one to choose), a label (again which should I choose) and visable (what's this?). I believe I should add the runscript in the code above to onclick, right!?

I don't know how to add it properly
I already told here how to do that I replace games with trailers and avoid all the code

the path andcode to trailers plugins is
Code:
<item id="2">
                <label>31011</label>
                <onclick>XBMC.ActivateWindow(10024,plugin://video/Apple Movie Trailers Lite/)</onclick>
                <texture></texture>
                <visible></visible>
            </item>
just edit this part of the code in main menu at the beginning nothing else,
visible is when the control are goig to be visible, onclick what happen when you click the control.

if you download Notepad++ and open the xml there is the line 110 thats the only thing I change(replace games in string.xml games is in 31011 in string.xml)

after that you can go in customization and choose the background under games and it will appear in trailers.
clearArt Concept
cdArt Concept

*If like, thank user
reaven Wrote:I already told here how to do that I replace games with trailers and avoid all the code

the path andcode to trailers plugins is
Code:
<item id="2">
                <label>31011</label>
                <texture></texture>
                <visible></visible>
            </item>
just edit this part of the code in main menu at the beginning nothing else,
visible is when the control are goig to be visible, onclick what happen when you click the control.

if you download Notepad++ and open the xml there is the line 110 thats the only thing I change(replace games in string.xml games is in 31011 in string.xml)

after that you can go in customization and choose the background under games and it will appear in trailers.

Are you responding to me?
I'd rather add an extra option, because in games are still a couple of other scripts/plugins I use.
Quote:Are you responding to me?
I'd rather add an extra option, because in games are still a couple of other scripts/plugins I use.
yes to you.. you can use any other like the Assistant menu I doubt you use that just look for the line 177 or assistant is in the same place just four items under games. the same instructions apply.

i never try to add a menu item from scratch I have no doubt that can be done but its just too much code even more if you want be able to have slideshow background..
clearArt Concept
cdArt Concept

*If like, thank user
Has any one figured out the code to add a kids movie section?
Tx
I've been wanting to do this for a while, so I sat down and searched every XML file for references to Assistant or id 31021. After doing this, and trying different things I came to the conclusion that onyl 2 files are needed to create a new menu item. REMEMBER: Always backup your original files.

XBMC/Skins/Aeon Stark/720p/Includes_MainMenu.xml

&

XBMC/Skins/Aeon Stark/Languages/strings.xml

Now, to stop any blank names appearing in XBMC, you need to have an id in the strings files. The name of this id will be what appears in XBMC. EG:

Code:
<!-- Main Menu -->

<string id="31010">MUSIC</string>
    <string id="31011">GAMES</string>
    <string id="31012">PICTURES</string>
    <string id="31013">MOVIES</string>
    <string id="31014">TV SHOWS</string>
    <string id="31015">VIDEOS</string>
    <string id="31016">SETTINGS</string>
    <string id="31017">WEATHER</string>
    <string id="31018">PLAY DISC</string>
    <string id="31019">SHUTDOWN</string>
    <string id="31020">SCRIPTS</string>
    <string id="31021">ASSISTANT</string>
    <string id="31170">TRAILERS</string>

Now the string id's that I've looked at that will work are between 31170 and 31199 so you should be right to pick one from there. Also, I've found that 10 CHARACTERS or Less fit in NAME space otherwise it will scroll the full name when highlighted. Position within this section does not alter where it appears in the menu, that will be in the includes_mainmenu.xml file.

Now, make note of your ID (31170 in this case). Open up your Includes_MainMenu.xml file and find the <include name="MainMenu"> section. Scroll down till you see this.

Code:
<content>
            <item id="1">

This is the first menu item you will see. This is where positioning takes place. So to demonstrate, I will place Trailers in front of MUSIC which is item id 1 with label 31010. item id 25 to 29 should be free. Experiment a little. Note that the label is 31170.

Code:
            <item id="25">
                <description>TRAILERS</description>
                <label>31170</label>
                <visible>Skin.HasSetting(assistant)</visible>
            </item>
            <item id="1">
                <label>31010</label>
                <onclick>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyMusic)</onclick>
                <visible>!Skin.HasSetting(nomusic)</visible>
            </item>

The ONCLICK part is what you want it to do....As I uncover more ONCLICK commands I'll post them here unless someone else finds them first :-)

Next, find the section called <include name="VirtualMainMenu"> section and scroll down till you see this.

Code:
<content>
            <item id="1">

Again, I will place Trailers in front of MUSIC which is item id 1 with label 31010.

Code:
                <item id="25">
                <label>31170</label>
                <onclick>Skin.SetString(customsingle,CustomAssistant)</onclick>
                <onclick>Skin.SetString(customslideshow,CustomAssistantFolder)</onclick>
                <onclick>SetFocus(92)</onclick>
            </item>
            <item id="1">
                <label>31010</label>
                <onclick>Skin.SetString(customsingle,CustomMusic)</onclick>
                <onclick>Skin.SetString(customslideshow,CustomMusicFolder)</onclick>
                <onclick>SetFocus(92)</onclick>
            </item>

And Finally, find the section <include name="VirtualMainMenuOptions"> and scroll down till you see this.

Code:
<content>
            <item id="1">

Now, this section requires two parts to ID 25.

Code:
                    <item id="25">
                <label>31170</label>
                <onclick>Skin.Reset(assistant)</onclick>
            </item>
            <item id="25">
                <label2>31170</label2>
                <onclick>Skin.SetBool(assistant)</onclick>
                <visible>!Skin.HasSetting(assistant)</visible>
            </item>
            <item id="1">
                <label>31010</label>
                <onclick>Skin.SetBool(nomusic)</onclick>
            </item>
            <item id="1">
                <label2>31010</label2>
                <onclick>Skin.Reset(nomusic)</onclick>
                <visible>Skin.HasSetting(nomusic)</visible>
            </item>

Difference with this last section is the each item id is repeated. One part mentions SETBOOL whilst the other has a RESET label.

All finished. Save you files and start up XBMC and you have an additional menu item. As for backgrounds etc, when I find out how to, I'll let you know unless someone else finds out. I hope this helps some people and I hope it makes sense. I'm very tired, but very happy to have solved this problem. Also as a side note, I've used pretty much the same information from the Assistant id 21, but changed the ONCLICK part to what I'd like it to do.

MagicRat
UPDATE:

After doing some searching through the xml's in the 720p folder, I found out how to have background images for custom menus. The following code is used in the latest version of Aeon Auriga.

Download RAR File

Learning more each time. I hope this is helpful. Also, check out the Includes_MainMenu.xml file as I've made changes to the code.

The 2 includes XML files go in the skin/Auriga/720p folder whilst the strings.xml file goes in the skin/Auriga/languages/English folder

Enjoy.

MagicRat
Been a while since I've checked on this... or used XBMC for that matter. Computer problems, yadda yadda.

Good job throwing that animation menu item in there. The placement of it in relation to the gaps between it and the other items is a bit off, but that's hardly a complaint. Just an observation.

Great job. I can throw my cartoons and anime under one thing now. Simple, yet effective. :-D

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Adding my own menu item0