[beginner] updating via github
ok, this maybe a dumb question, but how to you use github? Is this something that I can run off the command line like svn to update my version of the aeon skin? Or do i just go to the site and download the latest release - like i have been doing?
Motherboard P5N7A-VM, E8400 C2D 3.0 processor. NVIDIA 9300 graphics card. OpenELEC Stable - Generic x86_64 Version:3.2.4
You will need to install git on your local machine. Linux-based and Mac operating systems can be run from the command line. For Windows they have msysgit which will also allow you to run the commands from a command line or use the included GUI.
[04/03/2009 04:42:13PM Agent (Prashant_190023): "You are most welcome to the best democratic countries of the world -- India"] --Dell Chat
Quote:sudo apt-get install git-core
cd ~/.xbmc/skin
git clone git://github.com/djh/aeon.git auriga

Then when you wish to update Aeon:

Quote:cd ~/.xbmc/skin/auriga
git pull
git pull git://github.com/djh/aeon.git auriga

Super easy huh? :p
great! thanks for the tips...
Motherboard P5N7A-VM, E8400 C2D 3.0 processor. NVIDIA 9300 graphics card. OpenELEC Stable - Generic x86_64 Version:3.2.4
Will github allow me to just download the things that have changed then? I have tried to use it but if someone has a run through of the process it would be great.
Yes it will, I've also pretty much covered the run through of the process in my last post.
I assume you're still using Linux as you've specifically stated in a thread you made.
Now using windows though, have installed msysgit though.
i'm getting a problem when i try to pull :

Code:
> git pull
/opt/libexec/git-core/git-pull: /opt/libexec/git-core/git-pull: 163: tr: not found
You asked me to pull without telling me which branch you
want to merge with, and 'branch.master.merge' in
your configuration file does not tell me either.        Please
specify which branch you want to merge on the command line and
try again (e.g. 'git pull <repository> <refspec>').
See git-pull(1) for details.

If you often merge with the same branch, you may want to
configure the following variables in your configuration
file:

branch.master.remote = <nickname>
    branch.master.merge = <remote-ref>
    remote.<nickname>.url = <url>
    remote.<nickname>.fetch = <refspec>

See git-config(1) for details.
rickatnight11 Wrote:You will need to install git on your local machine. Linux-based and Mac operating systems can be run from the command line. For Windows they have msysgit which will also allow you to run the commands from a command line or use the included GUI.

Any guide in how to use the gui? I'm totally stumped Sad
has anyone tried http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/ ?

The UI should be easier.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
kulprit Wrote:Will github allow me to just download the things that have changed then? I have tried to use it but if someone has a run through of the process it would be great.
Git works by organize code in parallel branches. Aeon has two public branches at the moment: main and auriga. You can think of main as the "official" release branch. Auriga is the branch that Duncan is using to implement all of the changes before releasing version 1.0 of Aeon (called Aeon Auriga.) It is assumed that after the changes on the auriga branch are finished they will be merged down to mainline to indicate a release.

You can use the main branch (will be used by default) if you would like what is considered as the most stable version of the code. If you would like to stay on top of the changes as they happen you can decide to pull from the auriga branch, but know that there could be bugs.
[04/03/2009 04:42:13PM Agent (Prashant_190023): "You are most welcome to the best democratic countries of the world -- India"] --Dell Chat
iLurk Wrote:Any guide in how to use the gui? I'm totally stumped Sad
Because git is widely used versioning software, and not just for this application, I would recommend reading up on just git itself first. A good place to start is the git documentation page and msysgit wiki since that's what you'll be using.
hikaricore Wrote:
Quote:sudo apt-get install git-core
cd ~/.xbmc/skin
git clone git://github.com/djh/aeon.git auriga

Then when you wish to update Aeon:

Quote:cd ~/.xbmc/skin/auriga
git pull
git pull git://github.com/djh/aeon.git auriga

Super easy huh? :p

Fixed a big oopsie in my howto post >.<
No wonder I was getting the wrong build.
hikaricore Wrote:Fixed a big oopsie in my howto post >.<

i still got the same problem
hikaricore Wrote:Fixed a big oopsie in my howto post >.<

This leaves you on branch master doesn't it?

Can you switch to branch auriga and just use git pull?

And know, not sure how to do this... yet. Learning.

If I have helped you in any way, please forgive me, it was entirely accidental.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[beginner] updating via github0