Lost access to USB Hard Drive in Babylon Beta
criti Wrote:if root or mnt could just be accessible through add source, that'd be good enough for me. it autodetecting stuff and automatically creating sources is overkill.

still would like to see the output of "mount" when the USB drive is attached. this could be a very simple error to fix.
davilla Wrote:humm, thanks for the heads up AlTheKiller.

Two things:

You log show lots of :

like to track this down as I've never seen it before. If you could ssh in and "tail -f" xbmc.log then take notice what you are doing when this starts spewing.

http://xbmc.org/changeset/19244 is responsible for the removal of /dev and /mnt from showing in the GUI.

I'll look into adding /mnt back, can't remember which of my AppleTV has USB enabled Smile

Quote:I'd also like to see the output of "mount" when the USB drive is attached.

"mount" is parsed and the results used to show mounted volumes so something is getting excluded when the USB drive is attached.

I'm a fairly novice ssh'er, what would be the actual command lines and steps I need to do to get you the info?

I also note you said that the /mnt was specifically removed. Is there another way I would be able to add a source on the USB port as the path is /mnt/Volumes/'HDD Name'?
davilla Wrote:still would like to see the output of "mount" when the USB drive is attached. this could be a very simple error to fix.

you want me to unmount and mount it manually or look in a certain log file? xbmc.log doesn't say anything when i replug it in, i do get an error in console log when i unplug it saying i didn't unmount it properly blah blah, but nothing when plugging it back it in.
ShakeyBobWillis Wrote:I'm a fairly novice ssh'er, what would be the actual command lines and steps I need to do to get you the info?

I also note you said that the /mnt was specifically removed. Is there another way I would be able to add a source on the USB port as the path is /mnt/Volumes/'HDD Name'?

ssh in, type "mount", copy the results, paste here.

edit sources.xml and add;

Quote:<source>
<name>USB Drive</name>
<path pathversion="1">/mnt/Volumes/'HDD Name'</path>
</source>
/dev/disk0s3 on / (local, journaled)
devfs on /dev (local)
fdesc on /dev (union)
<volfs> on /.vol
/dev/disk0s4 on /mnt (local, journaled)
/dev/disk1s1 on /mnt/Scratch/Volumes/MULTIMEDIA (local, journaled)
What bout the other thing you mentioned about "tail -f" the xbmc log to see those "14:18:26 T:2684407808 M: 18309120 WARNING: Trying to access old style dir: C:\" type errors. I'll get that info for you too I, how do I go about that?
ShakeyBobWillis Wrote:/dev/disk0s3 on / (local, journaled)
devfs on /dev (local)
fdesc on /dev (union)
<volfs> on /.vol
/dev/disk0s4 on /mnt (local, journaled)
/dev/disk1s1 on /mnt/Scratch/Volumes/MULTIMEDIA (local, journaled)

MULTIMEDIA is not showing it's file system. (local, journaled) implies hfs+ journaled.

normally it would show something like this;

/dev/disk0s2 on / (hfs, local, journaled)

thanks.
ShakeyBobWillis Wrote:What bout the other thing you mentioned about "tail -f" the xbmc log to see those "14:18:26 T:2684407808 M: 18309120 WARNING: Trying to access old style dir: C:\" type errors. I'll get that info for you too I, how do I go about that?

startup xbmc on the atv

ssh in;

tail -f /Users/frontrow/Library/Logs/xbmc.log

now watch the output and when you do something on the atv that show the "WARNING: Trying to access old style dir: C:\" in the output, try and narrow it down to doing some action which causes the spew.
davilla Wrote:startup xbmc on the atv

ssh in;

tail -f /Users/frontrow/Library/Logs/xbmc.log

now watch the output and when you do something on the atv that show the "WARNING: Trying to access old style dir: C:\" in the output, try and narrow it down to doing some action which causes the spew.

Ok. It started shooting out those errors when I went to Configure System-->Filemanager

*edit* after I clicked on and opened File Manager...not just directing to it.
I took your suggestion of adding the Volumes into the sources.xml and that worked fine for allowing me to see the HDD and the various media folders in it. In File Manager, I can click on any media file and it will play.

Here's the source.xml file: http://pastebin.com/d2027bcab

However, when i go to Watch a Movie, or Listen to Music, etc. and try to rebuild the databases, when I go to File Mode (since the databases are empty right now nothing shows up on Library mode) the only two options I still get are VIDEO PLUGINS and ADD SOURCE.

When I go to ADD SOURCE and try to browse to the HDD it still doesn't show it (and this is previously where I would direct it to the HDD via the /mnt option. My only options are DVD Drive, HDHomrun, Home Folder, Replay TV, SAP, UPNP, Video playlists, video plugins, SMB, Add network Location.

I also have 'Update Library on Startup' enabled, but nothing happens
ShakeyBobWillis Wrote:I took your suggestion of adding the Volumes into the sources.xml and that worked fine for allowing me to see the HDD and the various media folders in it. In File Manager, I can click on any media file and it will play.

Here's the source.xml file: http://pastebin.com/d2027bcab

However, when i go to Watch a Movie, or Listen to Music, etc. and try to rebuild the databases, when I go to File Mode (since the databases are empty right now nothing shows up on Library mode) the only two options I still get are VIDEO PLUGINS and ADD SOURCE.

When I go to ADD SOURCE and try to browse to the HDD it still doesn't show it (and this is previously where I would direct it to the HDD via the /mnt option. My only options are DVD Drive, HDHomrun, Home Folder, Replay TV, SAP, UPNP, Video playlists, video plugins, SMB, Add network Location.

I also have 'Update Library on Startup' enabled, but nothing happens

something strange here, sources.xml should have

Quote: <source>
<name>Volumes</name>
<path pathversion="1">/Volumes/</path>
</source>

in all the sections. preflight does this setup on new installs if it does not find ~/Library/Application\ Support/XBMC/.setup_complete

this an existing sources.xml from an AppleTV, pre-beta1

http://pastebin.com/m469bc465
Should I just manually delete the sources.xml and let it repopulate itself?
ShakeyBobWillis Wrote:Should I just manually delete the sources.xml and let it repopulate itself?

If you want to try. make a copy of your existing one, delete source.xml and

~/Library/Application\ Support/XBMC/.setup_complete

this is a hidden file (the dot in front) so "ls" will not show it, "ls -a" will.

then run xbmc.app and then preflight will run at startup because it will not find ".setup_complete".

then look at source.xml to see if it looks similar to mine.
Ok, i deleted both of those files and ran XBMC.

Here's my source.xml now: http://pastebin.com/m5023ef26

Volumes now automatically shows up in File Manager and the files view and I can now set content for each media folder on the external HDD. It is currently repopulating my Movie database. This looks to have fixed the problem on my end. I don't know whether or not that still means somethings amiss when updating to Babylon beta 1 for other users in general.

Thanks for the help on a Saturday afternoon/evening. I appreciate it guys.
ok, this looks like it was a problem with a previous version of xbmc and the installed sources.xml. The current preflight code is working as designed and with a proper sources.xml and external USB drives can be seen under the Volumes source.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lost access to USB Hard Drive in Babylon Beta0