Screen keeps going off
Not sure if this is a problem with Ubuntu Jaunty.

I am using XBMC to play all my media. For some reason after a while watching a video the screen will go blank. TV doesn't see any input from the PC. This doesn't always happen though. If i move the mouse it comes back but can lose signal after a minute again. Power management is set to never put the computer to sleep or switch off the monitor. I dont have screensaver enabled either.

I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 and have the Nvidia 185 beta drivers installed.
ASUS P5N7A-VM motherboard

Can anyone help? I've tried everything and am slowly going mad!

Thanks!
Check your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. There might be an option in there for DPMS listed as Option "DPMS". Put a # in front to comment it out and reboot or restart X and that should solve your issue. It did for me

Cheers!
I am having this issue too. I'm also using the Asus p5n7a-vm. There isn't any DPMS option in my xorg.conf.

I was using 64-bit ubuntu jaunty, but having several different issues so I just went to 32-bit jaunty. Now most issues are solved, but screen keeps going off after a few minutes. I didn't have this problem with ubuntu 8.10 32-bit.

I have screensaver turned off and power management set to never sleep, etc.

Details:
Asus p5n7a-vm motherboard, intel e5200 cpu, 2 gig ram, onboard sound
Ubuntu 9.04, 32-bit
Using the xbmc version xbmc - 9.04~beta1-jaunty1 from https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc/+archive/jaunty-ppa
uname output: 2.6.28-11-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP i686 GNU/Linux
Alsa 1.0.18 from standard jaunty repos.
Nvidia drivers from https://launchpad.net/~thefirstm/+archive/ppa

Would the log help in debugging this? I can upload it if so.

edit: I found this thread on the ubuntu forums: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7057737. Will report back if I can get any of the suggestions in it to work.
Seems to be a jaunty/gnome problem.

The following seemed to solve it for me. Run gnome-screensaver-command -i before running xbmc, as recommended in the post I linked to in my previous post. For example, use the following script to launch xbmc:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
gnome-screensaver-command -i &
xbmc && killall -15 gnome-screensaver-command ;
exit
Or just disable screen saver complete and turn off powersaving mode in ubuntu.

But remeber to turn on your xbmc screensaver if you got a plasma screen.
jeey Wrote:Or just disable screen saver complete and turn off powersaving mode in ubuntu.

But remeber to turn on your xbmc screensaver if you got a plasma screen.

The problem is that we did disable screen saver and turn off powersaving and the issue persists.

Using the above command does seem to work however.

BTW new plasmas don't burn in like the old ones. I have a plasma and have mistakenly fallen asleep with a still image on the screen several times with no consequences.
if you run XBMC in fullscreen you shouldn't have this issue ?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Quote:The problem is that we did disable screen saver and turn off powersaving and the issue persists.

I am far from an export on linux but my understanding is that you need to put some flags in Xorg.conf.

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

add at the end:
Section "ServerFlags"
Option "BlankTime" "0"
Option "StandbyTime" "0"
Option "SuspendTime" "0"
Option "OffTime" "0"
EndSection
pike Wrote:if you run XBMC in fullscreen you shouldn't have this issue ?

The issue persists even in fullscreen mode. Using the method I posted above does solve the problem though.

vikjon Wrote:I am far from an export on linux but my understanding is that you need to put some flags in Xorg.conf.

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

add at the end:
Section "ServerFlags"
Option "BlankTime" "0"
Option "StandbyTime" "0"
Option "SuspendTime" "0"
Option "OffTime" "0"
EndSection

I will try this if I have a chance, but it should not be necessary. I should be able to just turn off the screensaver in the gnome screensaver applet.

It seems like it's a bug in gnome to me, but not sure.
@jowilkin

Have you had any luck with this yet?
I've tried all the suggestions in this thread and its still doing it. EVerything works fine for 2 hours. Then during a movie or anything the screen goes blank. Sound is still playing. I pause the movie and start it again using the spacebar and the screen comes back on and everything works. The thing is it will happen again in 5 or 10 minutes... not exact timing. This will happen over and over until I reboot. Then it wont happen for another 2 hours.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?
molesza Wrote:I've tried all the suggestions in this thread and its still doing it. EVerything works fine for 2 hours. Then during a movie or anything the screen goes blank. Sound is still playing. I pause the movie and start it again using the spacebar and the screen comes back on and everything works. The thing is it will happen again in 5 or 10 minutes... not exact timing. This will happen over and over until I reboot. Then it wont happen for another 2 hours.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

So you have tried the suggestion from jowilkin already?
Code:
#!/bin/bash
gnome-screensaver-command -i &
xbmc && killall -15 gnome-screensaver-command ;
exit

I'm running Linux Mint 7(Jaunty-base) and experiencing the same issue, i am not at home at the moment however so cannot test this script.
anyone got any solution to this problem, i mean, its a shame to cary a mouse with you at all times, because a remote isnt sufficient.
TV: UE55F8005
XBMC: Mac mini 2012 with windows 8.1
SOUND: Sonos playbar + Sonos Sub + 2x Rear Play: 3
I think that I may have found a solution for this problem, it seems that the root user in linux has separate power settings from the active user. If you press Alt-F2 and type "gksudo gnome-power-settings" the power management box pops up. For me this box had the settings set to go off in 30 minutes, setting this to never should keep the screen from turning off.

It seems that there are power management settings for both the logged in user and the root user. I checked this a few times, when I click the power management from the top menu "System | Preferences | Power Management" I have one set of settings and another set when using the above command. Setting both of these to never appears to have fixed the problem for now, hopefully for good.
Oh, and I am running Ubuntu 9.04

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Screen keeps going off0