• 6(current)
[AEON] HOW-TO download/install/update/test Aeon from its Git repository
Make sure you're using the new version of the fonts, which you can pull off of his webpage. He updated the fonts with a recent release.

I don't know if this is true, but it may be that Stark uses the old fonts, while the latest Auriga uses the new fonts. Hopefully someone can confirm this for me, but if you can find a link to the old fonts try merging the two fonts directories together so you have all of them.
[04/03/2009 04:42:13PM Agent (Prashant_190023): "You are most welcome to the best democratic countries of the world -- India"] --Dell Chat
Eldorado Wrote:Odd.. I can't see the two folders that git created in win explorer - "Aeon Stark" and "Aeon Aruiga" - but can see them fine in git bash... ?

Eldorado Wrote:Ok, nevermind... stupid me, the ol Vista "run as administrator" got me... ugh I hate that thing!

Same problem on Windows 7. I'm not sure what file I'm actually supposed to run as Administrator to get GIT up and running again - can you help? It ran after installing, and as it creates no start menu / desktop shortcuts I don't know how to get it back.

Bash.exe? It doesn't seem to work. Neither does git.exe ... hmmm Big Grin
rick, is it ok for you if i copy your instructions from the 1st post to our wiki for aeon showmix?

right now i'm only referencing to your thread from there, but i'd like to keep stuff "all in one place".

of course credits would be added.
cheers,azido :;):
azido Wrote:rick, is it ok for you if i copy your instructions from the 1st post to our wiki for aeon showmix?

right now i'm only referencing to your thread from there, but i'd like to keep stuff "all in one place".

of course credits would be added.

Absolutely. If you come across any good additions or fixes please let me know here, and I'll update the post. Always a pleasure to have my work appreciated Laugh
[04/03/2009 04:42:13PM Agent (Prashant_190023): "You are most welcome to the best democratic countries of the world -- India"] --Dell Chat
Ok I've been looking into some git options to make things better (diskspace / bandwidth usage wise). I still think git really sucks for our purposes and it's not really designed for what we want to use it for, but this should make things a bit better:

- On initial checkout: use the "depth" option to create a shallow copy. eg:
Code:
"git clone --depth 1 git://github.com/djh/aeon.git "Aeon Stark"
This only pulls the current version of the repository without the entire history.

- Frequently I get the error that something is not uptodate and cannot be merged when doing a git pull. The only reliable way to get rid of this error seems to be deleting files (!) (git reset --hard doesn't work, git stash works sometimes but not others, it's a mess). I've written a little batch file that automates the deleting files / git pull that seems to work so far:

Code:
@set PLINK_PROTOCOL=ssh
@setlocal
@for /F "delims=" %%I in ("%~dp0") do @set git_install_root=%%~fI
@set path=%git_install_root%\bin;%git_install_root%\mingw\bin;%git_install_root%\cmd;%PATH%
@if "%HOME%"=="" @set HOME=%USERPROFILE%
@cd %HOME%

@cd "D:\Program Files\XBMC\skin\Aeon Stark"
@for /f %%a IN ('dir /ad /b') do @if "%%a" NEQ ".git" if "%%a" NEQ "fonts" rmdir /s /q %%a
@for /f %%a IN ('dir /a-d /b') do @if "%%a" NEQ ".gitignore" del /q %%a
git pull git://github.com/djh/aeon.git auriga
git reset --hard

It basically deletes all the files in the skin except for ".git" and the "fonts" subdirectory, does a "git pull" and then a "git reset --hard"
I followed the guide for the gui version with the Hitcher mod and it seems to work fine.
There is an option to create a desktop shortcut which I did and it opens the GIT window, from there I assume all I do in future is Remote>Fetch From>origin. Is there a parameter I can use in the shortcut to do that so I can run it as a scheduled task?
user321 Wrote:Same problem on Windows 7. I'm not sure what file I'm actually supposed to run as Administrator to get GIT up and running again - can you help? It ran after installing, and as it creates no start menu / desktop shortcuts I don't know how to get it back.

Bash.exe? It doesn't seem to work. Neither does git.exe ... hmmm Big Grin

Anyone? I can install it, and it runs automatically after installation... and I can get it to download the files - all appears well in GIT but they won't appear in Windows explorer. Apparently someone thought they needed to run it as admin to solve this, but what file is it that runs GIT? Confused
This script is targeted at "Ordinary Users" who just want to get a copy of these skins (and keep it up to date) and who do not make any personal mods or develop code on top of the skins.

You can just use this script to download, install and update Aeon Showmix/Auriga/Hitched (or all 3 at the same time) skins into your XBMC on Windows and Linux. Everything you need (git, fonts) is already included, and no other additional downloads etc are necessary.

Please see here.
user321 Wrote:Anyone? I can install it, and it runs automatically after installation... and I can get it to download the files - all appears well in GIT but they won't appear in Windows explorer. Apparently someone thought they needed to run it as admin to solve this, but what file is it that runs GIT? Confused
Just find it in the Start menu, right click it, and select "Run as Administrator".
I've got a short question about forking from a git project.

I'm working on a mod which displays a movies primary language (instead of the source flag) and I'd like to fork Hitcher's Aeon Mod on github and commit my changes to my own "branch". So what exactly do I have to do?

- Go to the github page with Hitcher's mod and click "Fork"
- Clone my forked version to a local working copy
- Make the changes

And then what? Do I have to commit or push them to my repo on github? What is the difference between "push" and "commit" (I only know "commit" from SVN)? Do I have to do something else to get it working?

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Never mind I found out how it works. You first have to commit your changes and then push them to the public repository.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
rickatnight11 Wrote:Just find it in the Start menu, right click it, and select "Run as Administrator".

[EDIT]
I am a moron. I was installing "msysGit-fullinstall-1.6.4-preview20090729.exe" which doesn't create any start menu icons. "Git-1.6.4-preview20090730.exe" works fine.
[/EDIT]
Hey rickatnight11,
I hope you don't mind, but I incorporated some of your code in my new linux setup script: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=400583
Let me know if you have a problem with this.Smile

Dennis
Not at all! It's not my code! :-)
Hey!
The first time I run GIT I forgot to run it as administrator. So I downloaded everything but nothing appear on explorer.

How could i delete that directory? Was almost 1 gb that i downloaded.

Thank you
bmccruz Wrote:Hey!
The first time I run GIT I forgot to run it as administrator. So I downloaded everything but nothing appear on explorer.

How could i delete that directory? Was almost 1 gb that i downloaded.

Thank you

If you go in via Git Bash, cd to the folder to where it was downloaded

To remove the directory : rm -r <folder name>

I'm assuming your using either Vista or Win 7, in which case you should be putting your skins in the c:/users/<whoever>/appdata/roaming/xbmc/skin folder
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AEON] HOW-TO download/install/update/test Aeon from its Git repository2