iTunes Plugin for Windows development in progress, help wanted!
Information 
I just want to say thanks in advance for anyone that can help me with this problem.
I just started using XBMC last month and it's awesome!
My next move is to get itunes working and I'm using the plugin that was created for OS X, although my HTPC is Vista. The plugin has windows code, but it's not completed yet.

What I've done is this.
I have a macbook with itunes that is using a local library in the default location. I'm syncing this library to a shared location on my NAS so XBMC can access it. The problem is when the plugin goes in to read the library files, it identifies the location of the mp3 files like this - /users/saejin/music/itunes...
It doesn't know they exist on my nas.
It uses the below python script to create the filename:
def _cleanup_filename(self, filename):
if filename.startswith("file://localhost/"):
return unquote(filename[17:])
else:
return unquote(filename)

filename returns - users/saejin/music/itunes/itunes music/xxxxx.mp3

I'd like to know if there is a way to add some text to the beginning of the filename so it would look like this.

filename = z:/users/saejin/music/...

I know nothing about python scripting, but I have done C++. I assume filename is just a string variable and you can add or remove text from it.

Again any help would be great. And if it works, I'll share the modified plugin so that anyone else with a similar setup can access their itunes library from XBMC on Windows.
OK, I got the iTunes plugin to see the shared library on my NAS. I had to modify the python script so when the plugin builds the itunes database, it contains the right path to the mp3 files.

Now, I tried the same thing with the iPhoto plugin and modified the script. For some reason, the database that gets built doesn't have the correct path to the photo files. It keeps listing the default path which is /user/saejin/pictures/iphoto.

I need it to list the path as z:/users/saejin/pictures/...

Any help please?
Here's the modified code for the iTunes script.
def _cleanup_filename(self, filename):
if filename.startswith("file://localhost/"):
return unquote("z:/" + filename[17:])
else:
return unquote(filename)

Basically what this portion of the script does is this:
- strip away the "file://localhost/" portion of the path as that is OS X specific
- add the "z:/" to the begining of the path so XBMC on windows knows where the file is
So how would we implement this on Windows or the XBOX?

Seems like a big deal as iTunes hasn't worked for ages. Nice work!
I followed this post I found here - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ght=itunes

If you're running iTunes on windows, it should be an easy mod. If you're running XBMC and iTunes on the same box, then it's really easy.

I'm running iTunes on my macbook and replicating the library to my NAS using Chronosync. In windows you could use SyncToy or offline files option if using a NAS. This way any updates I make to my playlists on my macbook get replicated to the NAS and then I run an update for my iTunes libray in XBMC to see the new playlists.

I tried running the iTunes library only from the NAS, but access was too slow from my laptop. Everytime I started a new song there would be a delay. Plus I wouldn't have my music if I was away from my home network.

This setup works for me pretty good now. I'm able to share out my iTunes library to anyone on my network, share it out to XBMC, and it also acts as a backup copy in case my macbook drive dies.

What I'd like to see is a real iTunes server where multiple users/computers could all access a central shared library. Playlist updates and music adds would all be placed into the library for all to see. Plus you would be able to sync multiple ipods to this library. And one more thing, you would have the option to store a portion or all the music files on your computer in case you're away from the network. Or even better, be able to access the shared library from any Internet connection.
I think apple is moving towards this direction as they've added the ability to access your Time Capsule drive remotely via Mobile Me.

So now, when I'm out in the wild with my macbook, all I need is a wifi hotspot and I can see all the files in my Time Capsule which is basically a NAS.
I'm also looking to do something similar. Roughly...

- Cross platform iTunes server. Updates playcount, last played, skipped, etc. Serves album art, smart playlists, shuffle, etc.
- Cross platform xbmc plugin to view the iTunes Server.

Serving iPhoto from mac to PC would also be a nice plugin.

If you're interested in working together, let me know.
for the itunes server, check this out: http://www.fireflymediaserver.org/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
iTunes Plugin for Windows development in progress, help wanted!0