• 10(current)
Universal Media Companion, (a unified media manager), who wants to help code this?
I just started reading the internal threads and found that it sounded actually interesting and more ambitious than I had thought. As to what I read into your questions it might be good to look at the ideas there at this point. What the guys have come up with is quite an architecture really, and it looks doable. It would address your question.

The way I read this UMM is (among other things) a Media Server's server. The way it would work is that the various appliances tap into UMM and not vice versa. That way every provider could use it as a repository backbone.

Anyhow, I am getting more and more interested in the subject.
Hey guys I'm a professional software engineer and currently work in QA... I can't commit to being an official tester for the app but I'd be happy to do what I can to find bugs during development if that's something you're looking for.
Can I have access too? I'm not a programmer and would be pretty useless, but promise to keep my mouth shut and only speak when my input would be at all useful.
Swifty Wrote:If the new Unified media manager is going to have the ability to update the XBMC library db files directly, could this also be tied into an option within XBMC to look for the library DB file at another location (ie. network share)

It would be great to have the unified media manager scraping all info, then updating the DB files at a central network location.
Then all instances of XBMC can look at the network share so that watched info, library updates etc.. are all in sync between multiple machines.
Again that is not currently the plan for this "Unified Media Manager" but something that might only come later if there is enough interested from the developers to do so once everything else is in place and working good. In any care your specific request is not for this "Unified Media Manager" but for XBMC itself, as what you want is something that would have to be added to XBMC code as well, see:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=37315

....and that is only something that one can think of after this "Unified Media Manager" or something similar is already available, so it is kind of off-topic for this discussion thread, again instead post in:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=37315
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I should really like something like the 'Unified media manager' It will be a great solution to manage the massive amount of media at the school I'm working. At this moment it's impossible for us to use XBMC on the pc's because it's not manageable.

500 clients that has access to all movies, audio and pictures from 1 mediaserver. Sounds like a dream.. No more problems with CD's, DVD's and USB sticks. Big Grin
Has anyone looked at MetaX for ideas on the GUI? It's been around for awhile on the Mac and more recently for Windows and I think it does a pretty good job providing an interface, both automatic and manual, to tagging both movies and TV shows for iTunes. Granted, I have a love/hate relationship when actually using the tool (can crash here and there) but as far as the interface goes, I like it. Just a thought

Free to download, use and get ideas from:

Mac: http://www.kerstetter.net/page53/page54/page54.html
Windows: http://www.danhinsley.com/MetaX.htm
This is really exciting. Im a PHP/VB.Net developer and I've been experimenting with my own media manager application these last few weeks, getting RegEx to be intuitive and smart and downloading best guess artwork without interaction, similar to Yammm, only TV support that knows what a .rar and .001 file means in relation to other file in the same folder.

Yammm is a Media Manager available here: http://mikinhosoft.blogspot.com/

I'd like to join the team. If you'd like to use my services im here to help. Intermediate PHP/MySQL skills, VB.Net and creative flair with graphics.

http://www.ambiencemediasolutions.net

Jeremy.
I believe that with the PVR project, this is the one i'm most interested in atm.
Are thre any updates, any decisions reached concerning UI programming language, DB?
Since the main action is happening in a private forum, I feel a bit... forlorn Sad
openSUSE 11.2 | SVN XBMC
I'm... dreaming... of a quiet... HTPC
Hey guys, just wondering if there is any update to this project yet?

Cheers,
Hey everyone,

I don't know if there has been any progress, but would you please consider the following.

Tagging of the following media:
-Movies
-Tv Shows
-Music videos
-Music
-Games (this should also work for vista's and win7's Games section)
-Adult movie/video
-Homevideo /Short clips

Support for Aeon's (and possibly other skins) advanced views.
LazyPaul Wrote:Hey guys, just wondering if there is any update to this project yet?

Cheers,

There are no significant updates to report. The project is still in a very early stage, when there is some news to report we'll be sure to let you know.
tetsuo55 Wrote:Hey everyone,

I don't know if there has been any progress, but would you please consider the following.

Tagging of the following media:
-Movies
-Tv Shows
-Music videos
-Music
-Games (this should also work for vista's and win7's Games section)
-Adult movie/video
-Homevideo /Short clips

Support for Aeon's (and possibly other skins) advanced views.

All of those are on the project's radar. How many of them end up in an initial release (which is some time off) remains to be seen.
Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah i did not expect all of that to be in the initial release (just that the framework be ready to support them all)
Fekker just posted an update in the MIP thread stating that he should be back in a week or two, and that he would be taking a run at this program at that time.
digitalhigh Wrote:Fekker just posted an update in the MIP thread stating that he should be back in a week or two, and that he would be taking a run at this program at that time.

seeing as his manager is probably the most used around, it feels only natural. but has anything been decided at all, concerning db support, platform support? Lots of people are reinventing the wheel when the only changes needed should be cosmetic.
Maybe skinners should post the detailed media structure required to take full advantage of their skins somewhere in their own subforums; so the UMM can be more than these Aeon-centric MMs we see around.
openSUSE 11.2 | SVN XBMC
I'm... dreaming... of a quiet... HTPC
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Universal Media Companion, (a unified media manager), who wants to help code this?3