Whole house media and security for home automation control?
MATBOR if webcam xp isn't working out you mentioned windows software I would suggest YAWCAM which does everything webcamxp does. The GUI is a lil less polished but it works the same.

The delay I have noticed too due to motion sensing really. I was able to adjust USB bandwidth usage and it made a huge difference. Maybe there's a one second delay but not apparent like it usually is. On my parents setup it I used a pci USB card and the video has zero delay.

If I ever changed my setup it would be with ZONEMINDER but its not windows based and has built in webserver administration.

Boris thanks appreciate it. I am new to posting on this forum but been looking and using XBMC since xbox, still have the Xbox too Big Grin. If I could lend a hand to anyone, I will.
I've used yawcam before as well. For those looking for something easy I think it will even output a basic JPG at custom intervals so you can just configure a simple webpage with a meta refresh to get you started, then work your way up from there.
Speakin of LMCE I used an early version and was impressed . I really liked the cube style archetecture and the orbitor is killer! One thing for me was at the time skinning it was a nightmare. Very cool system but not for the beginner. The best option next to the builtin phone system was the followme remote option.
XBMC_FREAK Wrote:MATBOR if webcam xp isn't working out you mentioned windows software I would suggest YAWCAM which does everything webcamxp does. The GUI is a lil less polished but it works the same.

The delay I have noticed too due to motion sensing really. I was able to adjust USB bandwidth usage and it made a huge difference. Maybe there's a one second delay but not apparent like it usually is. On my parents setup it I used a pci USB card and the video has zero delay.

If I ever changed my setup it would be with ZONEMINDER but its not windows based and has built in webserver administration.

Boris thanks appreciate it. I am new to posting on this forum but been looking and using XBMC since xbox, still have the Xbox too Big Grin. If I could lend a hand to anyone, I will.

Yeah have looked at zoneminder, and have used YAWCAM before, but didn't think that you would be able to stream to XBMC, because it doesnt only uses html/java webpage, will have another look tough.

Matt.

Edit... found out why I could get it working, you need to manually enable the windows media encoder.

for other people's reference...
http://www.yawcam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1264

Thx.
4x ATV2's (v4.3) XBMC Frodo12.2. Raspberry Pi running MYSQL 5.5.31-0+wheezy1. NAS is a Drobo FS
@XMBC_FREAK: I'm a systems integrator and have been for 15 years. I have done things like this a 1000 times (at least) but using AMX / Crestron / Savant etc. all of which are very expensive. To see someone build their own, especially using XBMC, is quite impressive. I had never though of integrating the two in this manner. I am very, very impressed. Great job dude, great job.
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...
Thank You to all that have had great things to say, I designed this setup with the intent on creating a system that would work easy for the lady and myself. She is in love with how easy it is now. I worked with different Ir RF systems and it was a pain.

I made a simple web addon that just includes the XBMC controls to share with all of you that want the webcontrol .

To install go to system - addons - install from zip file

Once that is done goto

system -network and change the webinterface to XBMCWEB

and your done. ENJOY

http://www.mediafire.com/?107ef62ij81biho
Nicely done. A good friend of mine is a system integrator for home systems, I think he would love to see this.

-Cheers.
I am an expert at acting like an expert ---- WC Fields.

XBMC Web Control Interface - https://github.com/mthiels/webinterface.xrc
XBMC_FREAK Wrote:ALSO let me know if anyone wants to know about the usb doorbell I built.

When pushed makes a doorbell sound and automatically switches the tv to the front door video stream.

USB Doorbell? wow ... did you build this from scratch or is it available online?

Also, i love your set up... i am working on something similar, and will steal some of your ideasBig Grin... i might need to pick ur brain with some questions i have.
Lideo Wrote:USB Doorbell? wow ... did you build this from scratch or is it available online?

Also, i love your set up... i am working on something similar, and will steal some of your ideasBig Grin... i might need to pick ur brain with some questions i have.

Thank You,

The usb doorbell what a piece of engineering that was. LOL. A 2 dollar usb keyboard, a surface mounted switch scored from a fried fta box, a amplified pc speaker I picked up for $5 bucks.

$7 dollar bada$$ doorbell!

I had a need for a doorbell. Looking online theres not much options or should i say hackable options that sparked my interest plus the ones that you could load your own sounds were Pricey. I thought using an arduino with an Ethernet shield so there I went.

I order it and once it got home I kinda got carried away put an sd card reader in it, I knew this was too much horsepower for a doorbell when I had a brain fart! I decided to set aside the arduino which I will make a project out of it later,Big Grin.

Since I have a slim pc in the garage that is running why not use an extra usb port and pipe the audio into the house. So during my ritual swapmeet outings which I buy all the pc stuff you can imagine, I picked had picked up a compaq usb keyboard for a couple of bucks.

I ripped it apart and mapped the keys I wanted to emulate and soldered leads to appropriate matrix. From there I mounted a large surface mount switch. I soldered the leads from the keyboard matrix to the switch. I put the keyboard mainboard in a small project box. I extended the usb connector with a 20ft.

The doorbell housing is made from the original doorbell fascia. There is exterior rocks on the side of the house about 4 feet in height and choosing another doorbell to fit in the space would have not gone well since its odd looking. I gutted it and cleaned it up with a dremel enough to a fix my switch board inside and work properly. Once that was done a lil jb weld later. I plugged in the usb into the pc and setup Eventghost. I used a certain key press to activate a mp3file and activate vlc to switch full screen and dispay the video feed from the door camera. To make it work on all the pcs took a bit more work.

I can choose whatever doorbell sounds I want simply by changing the name of the any mp3 to doorbell.mp3 and dropping it into a specific folder.

THERES the usb doorbell for ya!.

No problem on the questions, ask away
wow nice job im working on my home automation im still looking and thinking the best way to go i have some ideas but i like what you have done nice job
TY for adding great enthusiasm to this thread. I try to come up with cheaper solutions to otherwise an expensive hobby Smile. Which reminds me, if you guys want me to document my next build. I got the idea of doing a build, keeping it the cheapest possible, and still look like something you want in your media system. I will also have to add somekind of cool remote and I will do my best to keep it under 100 bucks all together. I know this is freaky but I am a XBMC FREAK. Earlier today picked up a slimpc off craigslist.....
i would love to see more of your work
I was trying to post this as a PM but for some reason XBMC_FREAK was not found. I hope you wont think me intrusive, but I was looking at your home automation set up and I noticed that you live in the Inland Empire. I live in Menifee and it seems like we share a hobby. I am especially interested in the tablet remote that you created and I had a couple of questions. I currently have 5 appleTVs running crystalbuntu all connected to a couple of different NAS, one for movies and music and one for TV shows. So far my wife has resisted my desire to add cameras to the system but your set up is awesome. It seems from your screen shots that the camera feed is viewed from the tablet, is that correct? Since they run on the xbmc webserver can they be viewed in any browser?

I have done some limited coding in Dreamweaver but nothing like that. any chance you might be willing to share some examples of the code? Again awesome job, the whole set up looks great.
RaNaMaster:

No problem I will update as I go on this build. I picked up a slim pc for 20 dollars on craigslist. I went swap meeting this weekend and picked up a few things. I picked up a wifi router in the box for $1 Big Grin ,2X25ft cat6 ethernet cables still packaged for $3, 2x 10ft vga cords in packages for $3, and a 1gb of used ram for the slim pc for $4.

I spent 11 dollars at the swap meet, amazing what some think is trash.

Oh and the slim pc is a hp d51s nothing crazy....I figure with a good video card this would be fine...I looked for a pci card while I was out but couldnt find one yet.
Aslan2120 Wrote:I was trying to post this as a PM but for some reason XBMC_FREAK was not found. I hope you wont think me intrusive, but I was looking at your home automation set up and I noticed that you live in the Inland Empire. I live in Menifee and it seems like we share a hobby. I am especially interested in the tablet remote that you created and I had a couple of questions. I currently have 5 appleTVs running crystalbuntu all connected to a couple of different NAS, one for movies and music and one for TV shows. So far my wife has resisted my desire to add cameras to the system but your set up is awesome. It seems from your screen shots that the camera feed is viewed from the tablet, is that correct? Since they run on the xbmc webserver can they be viewed in any browser?

I have done some limited coding in Dreamweaver but nothing like that. any chance you might be willing to share some examples of the code? Again awesome job, the whole set up looks great.

Ladies and Gents dont post pics with weather data that points close to home. I am just kidding...But Menifee is south of AFB about 25 minutes away. On your questions regarding the tablet everything can be viewed and controlled using the tablet. The screen shots I took of the interface where while in firefox just to make it easier to post however the interface looks real slick on the tablets. I know it works in IE, Android Opera browsers without issues.

The viewsonic tablets where my main focus during the development since I had to stick to 800X600 resolution however I wanted every browserto work. Yes also regarding cam viewing. You can view any camera anytime from any tablet. I use the security cam console most of the time and switch between what I need to use. I really like the fact they are instant on. I can turn on a tablet and use it for any function almost right away.

I can understand your wife's point of view about the cameras they can seem big brother. I will say though the minute you have them you will wonder why you ever lived without them. Feeling secure is good but knowing is even better. Like for instance, we have all had the random knock or the midnight knock at the front door. I can power on a tablet in seconds view the front door. I can then either hide the shotgun or bring it with me...

I can view around the entire house within a few minutes and keep myself safe and out of danger. I can not protect my family if I am the first one that gets hurt.

I can tell you guys some endless reasons and stories on how handy the cameras have been. Aslan2120 you have to decide if you and your wife can live with either knowing or not knowing who's at the front door. For me it's been a life saver in so many ways.

Here's a couple of cool shots taken by the motion capture during a thunderstorm, It gets a lil crazy here lol....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Whole house media and security for home automation control?0